2 dead panther cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordan101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just found 1 dead catfish and another breathing really heavily and swimming erratically. He then swam to the back sank and died.
I noticed afterword that the angel George had cotton wool like something on his back and some fish where swimming round at the top of the tank, but not breathing hard.
I am going to get some treatment in the morning for George. But don't know why the others are at the surface. There is an air stone in there that has been in there for a couple of months.
Any one have any ideas about the cat deaths and the top swimming??

Everyone here is going to want to know your water parameters.

Ammonia

Nitrites

Nitrates

PH

well being new ish ... well new to forums and the levels never taken any of them but i was going to get a kit tomorrow when i get the treatment

Thanks for the link that's what I thought it was. Could to b the internal one that is making the rest of the fish act like they are? And i thought the water quality was of a reasonable, the next water change was going to be over the weekend.
I have already carried out a 10% change earlier this evening after the cats died :-(

Thanks for the link that's what I thought it was. Could to b the internal one that is making the rest of the fish act like they are? And i thought the water quality was of a reasonable, the next water change was going to be over the weekend.
I have already carried out a 10% change earlier this evening after the cats died :-(

Just make sure you get that test kit and supply us with those readings.

well its got worse this morning! 4 dead black widdow tetras adn a dead doubble red! and i cant find his female! off 2 the aquarium place now! hopefully the angel fish will make it till i get back!!

ok so here are the results of the tests
Amonia less that 0.1
Nitrite some where around 0.1
Nitrate 75 i think i have found the problem
and the ph is 7

can any one tell me hot to drop the nitrates??
i have already cared out a 30% water change and cleaned the filter and the intake any thing else i can do??
just tested my tap water and it has a nitrate lev between 10 -25 is this normal??

For me it's not, but I think that some people have nitrates in there water.
I would say another water change is needed. You need to get your
Ammonia to 0 Nitrites to 0 and you nitrate below 20.

Make sure you use a product like Prime. Tap water conditioner removes chlorine and chloramine. Detoxifies ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and heavy metals.

I'm sure someone will pop in on how to treat the fungus. If you are treating for fungus you will need to remove the carbon in the tank. Until after the treatment. Put carbon back in to remove the meds.

ive og the treatment and its in there atm! but it looks like the fish with the fungus is not going to make it! :(
and i don't think any of the fish are going to make it! they are all loating around at the bottom breathing hard! sad times! :cry:
i still don't know how it cam about the only thing i can think of is that the intake for the filter was a lil blocked which reduces the flo rate and might reduced the oxygen in the tank as well
well it looks like ime gona have to start the tank again! cycle it and do some daly water changes and realy giver hte gravel a GOOD going over!

Back
Top Bottom