2 Guppies and 1 African Dwarf Frog Die

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B Letz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello

Need some help. Today I lost 2 guppies and my african dwarf frog. Below are my readings. I didn't do a fishless cycle.

My Quick Help Info

Tank Stats
-------------------
Size of Tank (Gallons / Litres): 10 Gallon Hexagon
Running for how long: 2/24/00

Water Params
-------------------
Temp: 78
pH: 6.6-6.8
Ammonia (ppm): 0
NitrIte (ppm): 0
NitrAte (ppm): 20
Water-change Schedule: Once A Week or should I do more
Water-change Amount: 20% (Is this enough or do I need to do more?)
Any Water Additives: Stress coat and Strss Zyme (Do I need to add anything else to my tank?)

What fish are in the tank, length, age, etc.
-------------------
1 Male Guppy
1 Black Mystrey Snail

It seems that my tank is cycled. Today I went to the LFS and they gave me the readings above. I'm also coming up with the same readings. The only test that I don't know much about is my Alkalinity. They told me that it was low at 40. What should it be and what do I have to do to my water the make the alkalinity and ph be the right readings.

Thanks,

Bruce

I am not sure at all about frogs but I think guppies like little harder water..but now that you have a cycled tank, some carninals or neons would love it.
But you have to get those nitrates under 10 fer sure. Otherwise nothing will flourish long. And if you have low buffering it may be have been an end of cycle parameter spikes that finally got your occupants

Only thing I know of is water changes.

I drop mine some by adding a nitrate hungry plant. I use lucky bamboo which is semi aquatic a long as 2-3 inches are above water. It keeps mine close to nothing for a couple weeks (longest I ever let it go with just testing to catch a change to over .05 ..my tanks are mostly dutch and I cannot afford to upset the balance..or stress to my fish. :| ) It doesn't solve it it just slows it down.. and adds silicates which diatoms love (but they are easy to vacuum away)

Back
Top Bottom