3 fish die VIOLENTLY in 20 minutes----all the same way. Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Multifarious5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had my 8 year old cousin visiting my apartment Saturday. All the sudden one of my mollies (probably 8 months old) starts jumping above the water then slamming herself into the sides of the tank, then would float to the bottom belly up. She then repeated this process about 5 times and finally died. It's like she was getting electrocuted! Then, her baby (I've had it 4 months) did the same thing and died. I immediately took the dead fish and a water sample to the pet store. They said the fish looked totally healthy, and the water tested fine. When I got home, another fish had died. This is an established tank, and I've NEVER seen fish freak out then die like this. I of course did a complete water change, and since then no other deaths.

My tank was slightly warmer 79* due to my frog liking warmer water. I also tend to add too much of that water clearer that makes small particles bond, but I've never had a problem before. Does anyone have AVY experience with this type of freak occurance? I don't want it happening again.

10 gallon---I had 1 betta (has been in htere for MONTHS with the others) 5 mollies (3 were young/small) one swordtail and an african dwarf frog.

Any advice/insight is greatly appreciated.

plecoperson said:
I had my 8 year old cousin visiting my apartment Saturday.

Have you interrogated your cousin about....maybe...some addition to the tank?

I was actually concerned about that which is why I added that she was over. One death could have been a fluke, but 3 right in a row really worried me. I wanted to do my homework and see if there could be a possible natural cause before I approach her. What worried me a LOT is how calm she was----most kids would be really upset seeing something die so violently. Thanks for the feed back. I hope this isn't what happened, but everywhere I check, there is no natural explanation...

Enless... you have a deamon cousin that is posessed or something ;) just kidding around
I am really sorry about your loss, it really doesnt seem like there is any explaination, but there has to be, keep investigating and post any new ideas of what you think may have happened.

WaterPond said:
Enless... you have a deamon cousin that is posessed or something ;) just kidding around
I am really sorry about your loss, it really doesnt seem like there is any explaination, but there has to be, keep investigating and post any new ideas of what you think may have happened.

Thanks for your feedback! I will keep reasearching. I am sure there's some natural explanation. I hear that goldfish can freak like this sometimes. I just don't want this EVER happening again. Talk about a bad way to go for a fish!

Maybe she was talking to the fish and just wouldn't shut up. My girlfriends 5 year old occasionally makes me want to slam my head against the wall several times and jump off the roof due to her incessant chatter. :D

Sorry to hear of your loss, though.

src said:
Maybe she was talking to the fish and just wouldn't shut up. My girlfriends 5 year old occasionally makes me want to slam my head against the wall several times and jump off the roof due to her incessant chatter. :D

Sorry to hear of your loss, though.

Well, we did have a "Mermadia" Barbie movie playing------that was probably torture in itself!

It could have been something simple like a little soapy hand reaching into the water. I think what you hear about goldies freaking like this is nitrite poisoning because they are kept in too small tanks, I've never heard of them doing this but I've only talked to knowledgable goldie lovers.

Could be a result of something your cousin did, however don't jump to that yet.

It could of been many other things. How much is slightly warmer than 79. Just thinking of O2. You should buy yourself your own test kit. A small investment and who is to know the person at the LFS tested correctly. What kind of substrate do you have? Toxic gases that build up tend to kill a lot of fish at once. Along with other things such as Nitrite poisining. How long has your tank been running. You said established, has it been established for many years. There are many possibilities here. It could have been an honest mistake by your cousin, but you should test your water a couple of days after a water change and see if something has changed and post it. Just a few thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom