3 spot gourami with weird problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanielFZappa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, first up, I have tested the water everyday for the past week and all the parameters are spot on. 0 ammonia or NitrItes, and NitrAtes are good. Water Temp is 79 and solid and the thing is well covered so the air temp is stable for surface breathing.

Here is what happened: I got 3 of these guys and one died almost immediately and with no warning. he was no doubt sick when I got him. After a few weeks I noticed that one of the 2 that were left was starting to show a discoloration on just his face...it was turning black. First one side and the next day the other. His whole face was just a hue of blackish. No other symptoms...he was eating and swimming around like a normal gourami.

The next day I saw him cowering in a little alcove using the rock for support. The coloration on his face was gone but now he was completely white. He was still eating and swimming normally, so I chjecked the levels and findsing them normal I figured he was stressed for some unknown reason.

Then yesterday he was laying on his side and could not swim normally, darting in circles. The first thing that came to my mind was watching a cat with lyme's disease. I nmoticed this as I was leaving for work and couldn't do anything further. He was dead when I got home.

The remaining gourami is healthy and normal. I am just wondering if anyone has heard or seen anything like this before. I found no similar diagnosis on the links at the top of the thread.

Any ideas on what that was and what I should do?

Back
Top Bottom