34 Day Old Fry with POPEYE??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking in my 10g fry tank that contains 30 1/4" fry I saw this little guy dead resting in gravel with ... Popeye?? Or perhaps he died and as nature took it's course his eyes started budging? Haven't ever seen this with deceased fry before...

View attachment 72304

Here are the others... Eating and rushing to my finger on the glass...

View attachment 72305

jetajockey said:
At this point I'd just pass it off, do a big WC and see what happens. It's really hard to say with fry, and it's not uncommon to lose a percentage of them for random reasons.

Did an 80% PWC 2 days ago.
I usually do lose a few in the larger batches. Should I do a other one?

The batches I notice I rarely lose from are those where fry were able to survive overnight ... Probably because the weaker ones were already picked off and the stronger ones (that were able to swim away from adults) remained...

This batch I started with 44... Down to 30. A few died but I think Cruella snacked on a few when she was in there a couple weeks ago. :-0

If your water change frequency is good I wouldn't stress on it. Test the water to make sure everything is good, but otherwise don't worry about it. I typically lose about 10-20% of fry (all species) between the newborn and 1 month time frame.

So it's worth checking things out to make sure nothing is amiss, but don't start stressing unless you start seeing more things going on.

jetajockey said:
If your water change frequency is good I wouldn't stress on it. Test the water to make sure everything is good, but otherwise don't worry about it. I typically lose about 10-20% of fry (all species) between the newborn and 1 month time frame.

So it's worth checking things out to make sure nothing is amiss, but don't start stressing unless you start seeing more things going on.

Thanks Jeta. I think I'm just in hyper mode after my mass juvie tank loss. What a nightmare! Thats still going on. :-(

jetajockey said:
It'll be okay, live and learn, we all go through it. I've nuked more than a few fry tanks, and still do every once in a while.

Within the same week my only male Molly died, my dog lost her eye due to Glaucoma, and my car broke down.
(About to write a Country song..)

HOWEVER! Just now noticed my black Molly looking bigger in the belly... YAY...
Only in the fish world could a (almost) hopeless/ready to give up feeling be completely turned around!
Will be my first batch of black!!

Nope, I'll take a look.

edit. I read it, not sure on that one other than going brackish with the tank to help rule out some possibilities and then doing what is suggested in the thread.

Last edited:
jetajockey said:
Nope, I'll take a look.

edit. I read it, not sure on that one other than going brackish with the tank to help rule out some possibilities and then doing what is suggested in the thread.

Thanks! Really stumped on that one. :(

jetajockey said:
Nope, I'll take a look.

Thank you Jeta

Yeah diagnosing diseases can be difficult. I'm far from an expert on it, I just know what I've used in the past. I haven't been through the gauntlet of different diseases, so with some I just have to 'spray and pray' lol.

Back
Top Bottom