3rd sick Cory Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got back. Fish look better from water change, but the only difference with the sick one is that instead of laying on the floor he's laying in his sandbox. If he got sick from ammonia how fast do I expect improvement? I did notice he seems to be breathing quick. I'm afraid :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

News. Albino looked happy for a few from half water change. He died last night, well body cannot be found.

This morning the totally fine catfish is showing symptoms. Whatever it is he's going to die. He looks absolutely fine, so cannot think it is actually ammonia poisoning.

Other fish as always look great in fact. We ran late today but I want to know ammonia lvls anyway.

It does not make sense. I wish someone knew what it is.

Ps no whiskers I see missing.

I had given stress coat and an ammonia buffer tab to be safe. He was fine. I'm banging my head on the wall

Maybe parasites ?
Hmm. Darn! I'm sorry you're still having issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice.

I know thank you for helping, this really doesn't make sense, but if it is a parasite what will be the story how come the other fish didn't get it got sick from in there been a know with these dying catfish for at least over a month. Is there anything I can do to help at least give him a chance? Poorboy. Right now is the tank is empty and halfway out he's up and swimming around and looks fine you wouldn't be able to tell but before you sit in the corner. If he dies that will be the end of the cat fish but will the parasite live in the tank kind of thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice and probably speaking to it, hence my new grammar LOL

The problem is you have too many fish in a tiny tank. Plecos do not belong in there. And if there is a dead fish in there it will pollute the tank and kill everything very fast. Your filtration is overwhelmed by all those fish in such a small volume of water. You were lacking water changes. Your overfeeding. And your putting all kinds of chemicals in the tank. Get the tank down to a suitable stocking level, do regular water changes, like minimum 50% a week, more if needed.

Oh yeah.... Do NOT listen to anything they tell you, and do NOT buy anything they try to sell you at the pet store. Especially a place like pet co or pet smart. Most of the employees don't even know what a fish is.

Yes, I would return/rehome the fish that aren't suitable.

Plecos and Barbs need to go.

Cory cats can eat flakes. But should also be offered meaty foods like frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp and shrimp pellets or catfish wafers.

Consider switching to a sand substrate in the future if you like Corydoras. Not my vidhttp://youtu.be/tPOvOije4vQ

These are minehttp://youtu.be/JrLx1mKDObY

Corydoras are sensitive fish. They are scaleless and can be the first to die if there is an issue. Once established in a proper tank they are very hardy.

Ok, I think you guys are right. After 2 days of 50 percent water changes, stress coat and safe start ammonia killers, my ammonia tested at a little less then 0.25ppm. I think he's going to be ok. He's up and zooming around and back to being social to me and the other fish. He's enjoying his special catfish wafers and I honestly think we won. And I got a good heater so will turn off lights at night :) thank you guys. He's still is kind of making me nervous, so prayers please and I will update you guys.

I'm also never listening to a Petco employee again. I'll do whatever it takes to keep tank clean. They are happy and I'm sure as hell not bringing them back to the hillbillies who buy fish at Petco. They have a better chance of surviving my idiocy.

This site saves aquatic lives when good advice is followed :) Nothing beats fresh water that's for sure!

Good news. I hope you have continued success.

Study up on your current fish and make good choices.

Remember to rehome or set up a separate tank for the Plecos or you'll continue to have issues. Don't add any new fish till your tank levels are staying stable for at least a week.

Last edited:
Absolutely. :) he says good morning and he feels great! Will post pics of him in forum in future ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420635219.138628.jpg

And thanks lol

Back
Top Bottom