3rd sick Cory Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kismet95

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm not sure if you guys will know, but I lost 2 catfish and I just panicked because another one is showing the same symptoms.

This started in my 10gal freshwater tank with 2 tetras, two Placos, and two green baby catfish... Got them at Petco 2 mos ago. Everyone was fine, the catfish always extremely active until about a few weeks later the one started to act quiet and hang at the bottom more.. He did this for about 2 weeks getting almost smaller and more dead looking until he did die.
No marks or signs physically anything.

A week or so later i noticed a change in the other catfish's behavior, but at that point I figured he was lonely for his own kind, but we didn't have time to get to Petco for a couple more weeks.. The other day we got 3 gold barbs and 2 albino corys. They helped him and had him up and doing stuff. I thought I won, but in a few days he started slowing back down and hiding. He did grow a lot so partially I was thinking maybe they get lazy as they get bigger, but last night found him dead.

Today I got home to find history repeating itself with a baby albino Cory on the side corner looking tired.

What's happening? All other fish look great! Making me ill.

Tank's lvls are 100% perfect. I vacuum the rocks and take a few gallons out and replace them ever couple weeks. They eat Aqueon tropical fish food, and betta flakes as a snack 2, usually 3 times a day. There's no fish fights, no fungus. I gave the Primafix (tea tree oil stuff) for a week in the middle of the drama hoping if there was something I killed it. And with any changes give them a little bit of the stress x stuff. Oh and heaters keep tank at mid to late 70's. Filtlerbis the Whisper and works great.

Im at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420417951.004893.jpg this is my tank, sorry bad pic

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ps it is only the catfish with any problems.

We need to start over in regards to parameters. What are the actual readings ? It's highly unlikely that they could be perfect when only changing "a couple gallons every couple weeks". Also, throwing in something "just because" without knowing the problem has probably done more harm than good. I would ask that you start with this as it's a little easier to follow along with. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/before-posting-about-unhealthy-fish-read-this-32451.html

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I wasn't in my room before, but I have the numbers now..

Nitrate: 20

Nitrite: 0

Hardness: 75

Chlorine: 0

Alkalinity: 120

PH: 7.2

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420420396.191814.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420420409.747059.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420420427.823434.jpg

The one is the currently quiet catfish. That's the food a feed. The two betta foods were left over from my old betta so for the catfish I give them a pinch of that as a treat daily. The other picture was my 3 gold barbs who wanted their pic taken lol.

What is the Ammonia reading ??

And I'm sorry to point out Plecos don't fit into a 10g. I would rehome them. What species do you have ?

Are the Cats losing Barbels ( whiskers) before they get sick ?

Stop adding fish for now.
Anytime I have an issue I do a large PWC. Like 50%.

What are you feeding the Cories ?

Cories do best on sand or smooth substrate. But CLEAN water and substrate are most important.

I feed my small Cories frozen baby Brine Shrimp at least twice weekly.
Plus sinking meat based food. They will eat flakes, but I try to vary the diet.

Plecos can also fight for hiding places. Do you have multiple caves ?

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Gold Barbs should also be in a larger tank. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+880+2738&pcatid=2738

I would politely recommend researching appropriate fish for a 10g.

Barbs like to be in groups of 6 or more, as do Tetras. Same for Cories and Otos.

If you can get them, Nano species are ideal for 10g tanks.

Celestial Pearl Danios
Ember Tetras
Corydoras pygmaeus or habrosus

I would rehome the fish that will get too big and slow down on adding more, till you have a good plan.

One of my CPDs, I keep 7 in my 10g ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420421176.535980.jpg

The smaller the fish the more fish you can have in a planted tank, tho Guppies have a big bioload for their size.

Old pic of my 10gImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420421321.484842.jpg

Stores will sell you anything. Google the fish before you buy it. LiveAquaria usually gives pretty good tank recommendations.

AqAdvisor is a tool that may help you as well. http://aqadvisor.com

Just because a baby fish looks like it will fit, and it's cute, don't fall for it.

It sucks to lose fish. Do your homework and your next appropriate fish should live a long time.

But reset, regroup, make better fish choices ?

My ammonia reading? Tetra test. Strips don't have it. I'm sorry I'm exhausted and we have had a sick amount of emergencies all through November and December so I'm kinda out of it.

Umm I have those ammonia buffer pellets I've used before in the tank. Your right though, maybe I'm due for a 50% water change.. Will do it either early morning or night. But I've done my water changes. The water is very clear and why would this effect the catsfishes and not others?

Umm ok now I feel stupid. Idk species.. The little albino ones. I would have to google it.

Pictured above is the food I feed. It has shrimp brine in it and bloodworms.

Oh and yes they have their own spots. It basically works as the albino pleco has the right side of tank and black one has left.

I could understand for the barbs its a bit small (Petco said its fine) but they are also very happy and social. The tetras and Placos too.

Lol no I don't plan on fitting more fish, right now everyone except the catfish is at peace. The one catfish is fine and he ate and everything, the other just sat there.

Ohh yea and they do have sand. I made them a mini sandbox with aquarium sand. :p.

Weekly changes won't hurt? I didn't think you could take out that much weekly.

But still what would make the catfish only them just suddenly go still and lethargic? Breathing looks normal. They look fine. Could the light be bothering them? I keep light on. Idk. Anyone? Not having other fish problems people. Just wanna stop this from getting worse and prevent the other one from getting ill. Thanks.

Weekly changes won't hurt? I didn't think you could take out that much weekly.

But still what would make the catfish only them just suddenly go still and lethargic? Breathing looks normal. They look fine. Could the light be bothering them? I keep light on. Idk. Anyone? Not having other fish problems people. Just wanna stop this from getting worse and prevent the other one from getting ill. Thanks.

Its completely fine to take out that much water weekly. You could take out 50% daily and you would be fine. Test strips are notoriously inaccurate so you levels could be worse and we still don't know your ammonia, I'm assuming with the two plecos plus other fish that its pretty high. I would recommend you get the api master test kit. Much more accurate. The ammonia could be bother him.

Its completely fine to take out that much water weekly. You could take out 50% daily and you would be fine. Test strips are notoriously inaccurate so you levels could be worse and we still don't know your ammonia, I'm assuming with the two plecos plus other fish that its pretty high. I would recommend you get the api master test kit. Much more accurate. The ammonia could be bother him.

+1 for sure. My best guess as well is the ammonia. Without changing enough water, it allows the "bad" things to sit and become more volatile creating the unseen killers in the water. A fragment of ammonia in a moderate to high pH range is very deadly, whereas a high ammonia in a low pH isn't always a problem. However, you really don't want any ammonia at all. Temps will also affect the ammonia/pH relationship in regards to toxicity. A buildup of ammonia could come from a few things. Over feeding, over stocked, wrong fish for the tank, lack of WC's.

Most problems with our wet pets begin with water quality and that's the easiest and quickest thing we can rule out. As Coursair said, look for fish that would suit the tank better. The LFS just wants to sell. Increase your WC's as soon as you can. It won't hurt to do two in a day, with a few hours in between.

Please don't leave the light on. Fish need sleep too. I have my tanks on timers. 6-8hours daily or I'll end up with an Algae issue. Plecos only eat certain kinds of Algae.

When you have a minute, find out what Plecos you own.

White ? Maybe Albino Bristlenose ?
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+837+1039&pcatid=1039

Are they same species or look different ?

Common Pleco ?
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=580

You can feed Plecos blanched Zucchini and Romaine etc...

corydoras are very sensitive. The Primafix could be harming them. The plecos are poop machines, literally, and create very high amounts of ammonia. You should be doing lots of water changes as suggested by the others. I would seriously consider re-homing the plecos and getting the API Master test kit as was already also suggested. The best price I have found for them is on Amazon.

What in doing now it's doing a half water change.. 5 gal. Found a realllly cool Poland spring bottle we had held onto! It's perfect for this! Anyway I will update you lot on improvement! :)

Ps sorry for grammar.. iPhone spell fail is annoying.

Ahh sorry guys I hadn't realized anyone replied. Phone didn't load them right away lol. I'll read them all in a few

Plecos = a lot of waste 2 plecos + 10 gallon = NIGHTMARE

Btw plecos need 55+ gallons or they will be stunted, where the fish... let's just say it's like stuffing a 6year old in a full body cast until they are 15.

+1 for sure. My best guess as well is the ammonia. Without changing enough water, it allows the "bad" things to sit and become more volatile creating the unseen killers in the water. A fragment of ammonia in a moderate to high pH range is very deadly, whereas a high ammonia in a low pH isn't always a problem. However, you really don't want any ammonia at all. Temps will also affect the ammonia/pH relationship in regards to toxicity. A buildup of ammonia could come from a few things. Over feeding, over stocked, wrong fish for the tank, lack of WC's.

Most problems with our wet pets begin with water quality and that's the easiest and quickest thing we can rule out. As Coursair said, look for fish that would suit the tank better. The LFS just wants to sell. Increase your WC's as soon as you can. It won't hurt to do two in a day, with a few hours in between.

Ok, will do more water changes. Right now we are feeding all of our horses (horse rescue) lol and we should be back in a few hours. Will tell you guys if there is any improvement.

Back
Top Bottom