4 Fish Died Suddenly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samh2855

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had 8 Rummynose and 1 angelfish in a 37 gallon tank. The tank has been cycling for 4 weeks and water levels are 0,0 Ammonia and Nitrite, 10 Nitrate, 7.4 Ph. The angelfish was just added a couple days ago since I was getting no ammonia for a week. I have a sun sun 304 that I set up about 1-2 weeks ago. It has the old filters media inside plus lots more. I came home today and all of my alive fish were at the surface gasping for air. 4 rummy noses were dead. The water temp was 81 F. Was there no oxygen in the tank? I immediately added an air pump and wondering what else I should do. Please help I dont want to lose all of my fish.

Even my 3 assassin snails were at the top of the tank. I never saw one of them there and all three are never even out at once. The fish are now back at the bottom of the tank like normal. Rummynoses seem to still be gasping a bit. Should i change water? I dont know if i should shut off the filter

Sounds like an ammonia spike to me. Fish suffocate if in the tank during cycle spikes. Some fish are tough enough to survive, most can't.
Don't lose hope. You might do a 30 - 40 % WC. Cool the water temp. down to 74 -76 degrees. Cooler water holds more oxygen. Your 81 degrees was a little on the warm side. Just keep watching your fish for continued signs of stress.
If your fish don't pull through, you might consider cycling your tank with a few tiger barbs.

No ammonia at all, I think there was just not enough oxygen. They seem to be doing better. I changed out 10 gallons and put the heater down. I prefer to not keep the air pump in because it is loud. Is there any other ways to help oxygenate? I have like 8 long stems of Anacharis in there shouldn't that help? Was the temperature just too high?

Do not add 74 degree water to an 81 degree tank or all the fish will die, after you do a Small water change 20% still temp match the water but 1 degree lower and add it slowly, turn heater down as well as it might be kicking in with the ac (if you have ac) open one side of the lid and angle a small fan blowing over the top of the water, in the other end just crack the lid a little bit so the heat can escape so say your heater is set on 78-79 turn it Down to 77, if you do have ac as that might be the issue as the heaters over heating to keep the tank warm with the cold air going, make sure you condition the new water with prime and it wouldn't hurt to add 5-10 ml of live bacteria as the tank might still be spiking, it takes longer than 2 weeks for a tank to cycle. You should of left the old filters running on the tank with the sun sun going and have it running about a month to get established, it might be going through a mini cycle.

Thanks for the info guys but I really believe it was because of lack of oxygen and my bubbler fixed that. Temp is around 78 now and the water levels are otherwise just about perfect. What I'm really looking for now is a way to make sure the water stays oxygenated without the bubbler. 81 is a bit warm but is no where near extreme. Thanks again for the info

81 is not bad as those fish as they like it in the warm side, 80-84 but that's only for breeding and promoting fast growth, mid 70's - 80 is good for show tasks and the fish live longer in that temp range, as far as oxygenation, do you have surface movement in the aquarium if not adjust the filter to ripple the top of the water

So I had the spray bar pointed up toward the surface when I first got the filter but when I got the angel a couple of days ago the current seemed a bit strong so I read point it more toward the glass which I did. This decreased the surface agaitation by some but not all of the way. I believe this in conjunction with the higher temp probably killed my fish in the end. Do you think if I point the spray bar back where it was my fish would be safe again? Should I add more plants? (I want to in the future but need a better light for a wider variety) Or should I just suck it up and keep running the air pump? I don't like the look or noise of it but fish first of course.

I don't think it was the temp tbh as my tanks gotten to 90 when my ac was out, I just had to keep doing super small water changes during the day with a 1 degree lower temp, then i found I could just float frozen water bottles, plants are great for a tank as they keep ammonia and nitrite in check and keep your nitrate lower if you have the correct plants probably don't fix the issue tbh, all my fish I have love a strong current I don't knife about angels and rummies though, is there a half way point on the spray bar, say not shooting up but not pointed at the glass? I personally run a disk air stone in my tank with a valve for adjustment.

Yes I can try and change it to that. I came in my room after work and literally all of the remaining fish were just gasping for air at the top as well as my snails which have never yet climbed the glass. I don't see how this could've been anything but oxygen levels I just don't get how they got so low. There was definitely still decent surface agitation. There is a lot more water movement then a 37 gallon really needs. Plus a plant known for supplying oxygen. I really don't understand

Try a different air pump. I've just been ignoring the fact that my air pump was horribly loud for a while and just recently got a new one with an adjustable flow and two outlets and was shocked at how quiet it is. It's not silent, but it's just soothing white noise compared to the old one.

I have a whisper can't even hear it, way to strong so I have air junction thing so I can turn it down at the stone, it's one outlet non adjustable and pretty cheap can get different sizes for your tank the 100 gallon one is $24.00
1299b4acbbde4b034130b01de735cecc.jpg

myself I don't run any tank,pond or pool with out air. My 55 gal mollie breeder tank has a cascade 1000 canister a 30/60 aquatech outside filter and 2 giant sponge filters with heavy air. All my tanks have air stones most of them 6in round cilinders. I run 1 compreser for my ponds and 1 compreser for my tanks. I believe that's why I have such good luck with my tanks is because of the amount of air I have in them,and a minimum of 2 filters per tank. air brings dead water to the surface allows for gas exchange and gives you more time if something does go wrong in your tank. Just my opinion. I have only been doing this for 60 yrs so what do I know.

Just throwing this out here...any recent use of aerosols (cleaners, air fresheners, etc) in the room that the tank is in?

No and since the fish returned to normal after adding an air pump makes me believe it wasn't that. Look like my best option is to keep an air pump going and see if I can find a quieter one. Thanks for the help everyone

Back
Top Bottom