55gal Brackish Concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tonyb849

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My tank is stocked with: 1 green spotted puffer, 1 mono, 2 bumble bee gobies, and varying (small) quantities of ghost shrimp and nerite snails. The shrimp and snails are a food source for the gsp.

I have been noticing that the color of the gsp and mono are not always the bright white/silver that I would like to see. I am more concerned with the gsp whose stomach is typically dark while the light is on. At night when the light is off his color is very good. Is there a recommended wattage that I should be using in a brackish tank? I do bi-weekly 20% water changes and cleanings. I have read that weekly changes are necessary, but with my work schedule this proves almost impossible. My average water quality parameters from my weekly testing are as follows:
PH 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
SG 1.0125

For filtration I use a Aquaclear 70 as well as an Aquatech 30/60 (which IMO is a piece of junk). I have been reading up on also using skimmers and/or refugium setup as I have room for up to a 20gal sump beneath my tank. Is this necessary to ensure my fish are healthy or are there cheaper/easier steps I could take? Also green algae has been somewhat of a nuisance which leads me to believe I should use lower wattage bulbs. Any advice would be appreciated.

Instead of bi-weekly water change, do one 40-50% water change.

You need to rehome the mono and gsp or the bumblebees. Bumblebees are light brackish fish and the other 2 are better suited for full marine. If you go full marine, then a refugium for macro algae and a skimmer will help reduce the frequency of water changes. Live rocks are also a good source of bioological filtration.

40-50% per week. I thought you were doing two 20% water change per week.

Back
Top Bottom