6yr Old Fire Eel Stopped Eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. FishMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here we go.. I have a 20 something inch fire eel in a 130 gallon tank. I've had him for almost a year and he's always been happy and healthy. He was always very active, even with the lights on, and would let me hand feed him. Less than a month ago I lossed an Angelfish due to a bacterial infection and I didn't not treat the tank as I was too late to save the fish and I figured a large water change would suffice. This was a mistake. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed a huge decrease in activity from the fire eel and he wouldn't come out of his log. I plopped some of his favorite food in the tank (some frozen bloodworms) and he didn't go for them or seem interested in them at all. A few days went by and I hadn't seen him come out of his log or eat at all and I noticed his gills were flaring and he looked like he was gasping and twitching. Thats when I put the pieces together and realized he was acting very similar to the Angelfish I had lost not too long ago. I immediately went online and looked up symptoms for bacterial infection in an eel and I came to the conclusion that he was definitely infected. I remember being suggested to use Marycin 2 to treat the Angelfish by a member on this forum so I went and picked up a good supply for my fire eel. After one 5 day treatment there were no signs of improvement so, as suggested on the box, I started another treatment and I also read online I could add aquarium salt to help with gill function. Last night was the last day of the second 5 day treatment and still, there are little signs of improvement. Which is.that he has come out of his log but only to for a short period (He swims over to the other side of the tank where there is another log and then he'll stay in there for a while). He still hasn't eaten anything and his gills are still flaring.. I've tried giving him shrimp and krill to no effect so I got some live shrimp and worms and he stilll doesnt seem interested. Im really discouraged and I dont wanna lose my buddy. Is there anything else I can do?

Back
Top Bottom