7/10 Rummynose Tetras died in 48 hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all. Just finished fishless cycling my tank 3 days ago. Checked all of my levels and everything is fine. On Friday I bought 10 Rummynose Tetras, all seemingly looked fine and were swimming in a healthy manner. Literally every time I leave for a little, I find more dead fish. This morning I found four dead in the tank, and on Saturday morning I found one dead on the floor. Two more were dead when I returned from dinner this evening. In all my years of fish keeping, I've never had a mass die off like this. It makes no sense to me. Has anyone ever had this happen before in a cycled tank?

Wasted $25.

The tank is a 55 gallon and they were the first additions; tank is 80*F, pH is around 6.8-7, and ammo, nitrite and nitrate are 0,0,10 respectively.

*EDIT* Make that 8. Just found another.

They should have a guarantee on fish, right? Rummies are pretty sensitive. Did the lfs just get in a shipment?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The guarantee is only 24 hours, and it was already about 14 hours when I saw my first death and had no time to bring them in. Not sure when they got a shipment.

That sucks. I doubt it was anything with your tank though

That sucks. I doubt it was anything with your tank though

Tell me about it. Their coloration really started to pop the next morning, too, and the fact that nothing looked wrong with them was quite troubling. I wasn't really expecting any advice, was just curious if anyone had ever had a massive die-off when everything was seemingly fine in the tank.

Quite a shame.

Rns' are pretty sensitive, they really should only be kept in well established tank. Based on the airborne departed I'd say they didn't like the water conditions and jumped ship. . Shrimp will do this too..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Rummy nose are not for a newly setup tank. Also adding 10 fish at once could have been a contributor to a mini cycle. They must be kept in a well established tank. Rummy nose are just really sensitive almost like a Discus. Did u drip acclimate them? If not maybe your water was to good for them. Saying that the pet store had bad water that the fish were use to then putting them directly in your good water was to much of a change.. With sensitive fish u need to drip acclimate them to be sure they will be ok.. Sorry for your loss and good luck with your next fish

Show me a fish that don't eat and I'll show you a sick fish

Rummy nose are not for a newly setup tank. Also adding 10 fish at once could have been a contributor to a mini cycle. They must be kept in a well established tank. Rummy nose are just really sensitive almost like a Discus. Did u drip acclimate them? If not maybe your water was to good for them. Saying that the pet store had bad water that the fish were use to then putting them directly in your good water was to much of a change.. With sensitive fish u need to drip acclimate them to be sure they will be ok.. Sorry for your loss and good luck with your next fish

Show me a fish that don't eat and I'll show you a sick fish

I drip acclimate all of my fish for an hour. I've actually never owned a Rummy before, and I honestly wasn't well-versed in how sensitive they are. I feel kind of at fault...almost 8 years in and I made a rookie mistake :blink:. As for the mini-cycle, I was converting 5ppm of ammonia to nitrates in around 18 hours so I really wasn't too concerned.

Back
Top Bottom