A lot of flashing from my large group of cherry barbs. Opinions please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone.

My tank has been doing great. My Cory's spawn regularly and same with my cherry barbs. I only have 3 species of fish in my 75g. Otos cherry barbs and Cory's.

40 Cherry's
30 Cory's
12 otos

I am not sure why but my cherry barbs flash fairly often. not all fish at the same time, but random fish at all different times. Sometimes a fish with flash 2 or 3 times in like 6 seconds.

I visually can't see anything wrong, I can't imagine anything its something serious either. Spawning is pretty much daily with different females. The males show good color too.

All fish eat very well and are fed 2-3 times a day. I weekly WC 50-60% and the tank is well planted with a full layer of duckweed at the surface.

I feed premium foods and offer fresh veggies too.

None of my.Cory's flash or my otos. I haven't had a death in a long while and the fish seem very happy. If anyone has some ideas of what is going on I would love to hear about it.

Do.they flash on a surface or mid water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am going to do one tonight and another water change.

Any chance that dosing dry ferts could cause it?

They may be reacting to the ferts? If they're eating and acting normally (aside from flashing), no visible signs?? May not be a big deal.

Spawning a lot, eating great, very very active. So that's why this is so weird.

It's probably just spawning behavior?

Is flashing part of that?

Its never really an any of the rocks but always on plant leaves.

Hey everyone.

My tank has been doing great. My Cory's spawn regularly and same with my cherry barbs. I only have 3 species of fish in my 75g. Otos cherry barbs and Cory's.

40 Cherry's
30 Cory's
12 otos

I am not sure why but my cherry barbs flash fairly often. not all fish at the same time, but random fish at all different times. Sometimes a fish with flash 2 or 3 times in like 6 seconds.

I visually can't see anything wrong, I can't imagine anything its something serious either. Spawning is pretty much daily with different females. The males show good color too.

All fish eat very well and are fed 2-3 times a day. I weekly WC 50-60% and the tank is well planted with a full layer of duckweed at the surface.

I feed premium foods and offer fresh veggies too.

None of my.Cory's flash or my otos. I haven't had a death in a long while and the fish seem very happy. If anyone has some ideas of what is going on I would love to hear about it.
Can we have a pic of your tank!!![emoji39]
CHERRY'S sounding sweet!!!

Clem.

Sorry for the delayuploadfromtaptalk1446515789233.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446515805289.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446515842792.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1446515752253.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1446515752253.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 89
Great job!!! Nic pics and the videos came out amazing!!![emoji39]
Never thought that that the cherry's would look that good, and the plants look really good too!!!
What is that floating plant in the smaller tank called?
I like the way it grows from the top and the fish have to swim through it, cool stuff !!! [emoji6]

Clem.

Both videos are from the same 75g. The one with all the floaters was taken a little while ago while the other was from last night.

The floating plant is frogbit, I have since removed this plant because it kept keeping caught up in my power heads. But I have a few in other tanks so if I want it in the future I got some.

The cherry barbs loved loved loved that stuff. They would spawn up there all day long. I am going to setup a proper breeding tank for them in the future and it will be stacked full of frogbit.

Currently I have the surface full of duckweed, I love this plant for its super fast growth (competes against algaes) and small profile so it circulates nicely and doesn't block anything.

I scoop out some weekly to keep the density how I like.

I like the frogbit, but the duck weed it gets everywhere. I do like both plants, I have some ideas now for their uses, it seems that it gives smaller fish a sense of security, that's maybe why they flash so much,they're letting you know how happy they are!!![emoji39]
Thanks for taking the time to share with us, and the info about the plants!

Clem.

Little update:

Did a full filter clean, changed an extra 50% water and they are still randomly flashing.

I did all of that yesterday evening and shortly after the cherry barbs were showing breeding behavior. Like I said before my fish are constantly breeding in this tank which is being feed only the best fish food I can find.

I am at a loss here.. :(

I have a small feeling it might be the ferts but that doesn't really make sense.

Back
Top Bottom