Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2004, 09:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ack, dead Ram =(

Last night around 1AM I went to check on my Pleco with a flashlight. It took me a while to find him, but when I did, he was next to a Ram. The Ram was laying on its side, not moving and in full color. I figured it was sleeping oddly, but it did not move for a couple minutes, so I caught it in a net to see what was going on. It was dead. Everything on the fish looked fine, except its anus was sticking out abnormally, almost like it had something stuck and the fish could not push it out. I dunno what happened, the fish was OK for the last few days, water parameters are all fine (ammo/ites 0, ates 20, ph 7-7.2, weekly water changes). Fish should be parasite free, they get Pepso Food once a week and I have not added any new fish to the tank in months.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry to hear about that...
I hope you figure it out!
Good luck

Old 04-14-2004, 11:42 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Do you feed veggies or algae wafers for fiber? He may have had a blockage.
Sorry to hear about your loss

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I drop in algae wafer during the night once or twice a week. I had not put a wafer in the tank in almost a week when the Ram died, so that is probably not the cause. The fish usually eat OSI and Omega One flake food, once a day. I did feed my fish some frozen food on Easter though. It was SFBB Community Menu, which is a variety of frozen critters. Maybe the Rams can not digest that well?

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
Old 04-14-2004, 02:22 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
I could be wrong... but I think Menagerie is asking the opposite--whether you fed the rams enough fiber to cope with meaty foods. That makes more sense to me.

No diagnosis from me, though. I know little about rams.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, that is what I was asking. I was wondering if grimlock had put in "not" or omitted a "not" on accident

Anyway, I feed my community fish (rams and apistos included) a diet of flakes, occasional frozen blood worms (as in maybe once a week) and peas. Not a ton of peas, but I everyone takes a nibble. Oh yeah, and algae wafers for the bottom dwellers, but it seems EVERYONE gets in on the wafers

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 04:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh that sucks grimmie; I'm sorry

Its impossible, without an autopsy to know exactly what happened. I also think the herniated vent played a part, but I know of other fish which have survived such nasties. And its so hard to say, since everything sorta comes out of the same spot, whether the prob was related to the digestive system, reproductive system or simply a tumor which pressed on the area; again without autopsies we will never know. I realise its prob too late to do it now, but if you're not squeamish you might want to do a dissection god forbid this happens again to figure out what happened.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 04:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not squeamish, but I would be upset to cut up a pet. I might have tried cutting open the area to see what was up and prevent it from happening again, but it was 1AM.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
Old 04-14-2004, 07:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

*nods*

Yeah, autopsying ones own pets is very difficult. I haven't done it yet, but mostly because I have been real lazy about buying microscope slides LOL I have the scope but have nothing to put samples on.

And 1am is probably not the best time for indepth studies huh...sorry LOL

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry grim. I'm having my own blue ram problems. not certain if my pH and hardness is too high, or if the BGA infection I finally got rid of was the blame...but I still have two rams alive. We'll have to see what happens with them.

Tags
dead, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com