Adding new fish to a tank with ich...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orcus332

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm currently treating ich with heat in my 10gallon tank. The temp is around 87, and the affected cardinal tetra still has a few spots of ich on his caudal tail. My GBR and oto aren't showing any signs of ich. I'm planning on getting 5 more tetras and another GBR soon. Here are my choices:

1) Treat the ich with heat until 2 weeks after the spots disappear from all fish affected, lower the temp back to ~78F, then buy the new fish.
2) By the fish now and add them to the "ich contaminated" tank, and lower the heat 2 weeks after the ich disappears from all fish.

Ethically it seems that choice 1 is the most humane choice. Choice 2 seems appealing though, because I may just reintroduce more ich into the tank 2 weeks down the road when I add more new fish to the tank, and go through the "heat treatment" all over again. I don't have a QT tank, so that's not an option. Let me know which choice you like and why, or add your own suggestion.

Thanks again!

#1 Makes more sense and for far better reasons. Adding new fish to an unhealthy tank can create more problems. Ich weakens fish and if the new fish bring in any parasites or fungal issues, the fish suffering from ich will probably die from any of these new issues.

IMO, it is better to continually treat for ich than to have to also treat for fungal/bacterial problems.

Jchillin said:
#1 Makes more sense and for far better reasons. Adding new fish to an unhealthy tank can create more problems. Ich weakens fish and if the new fish bring in any parasites or fungal issues, the fish suffering from ich will probably die from any of these new issues.

Agreed...only #1 makes sense.

I also agree, #1 is the only choice. Adding fish to a tank of ich is not the proper way of adding new fish.

Thanks for the comments. I'll be patient and wait till things clear up and try my luck in a few weeks!

Back
Top Bottom