ADF infection in head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Celarii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My female african dwarf frog has had an infection (red leg?) in her head for about 2 weeks. I finished one dose of Maracyn 2 and I don't know what to do now because she has just been getting worse and now has fuzzy patches growing from the hole which is very deep and has gotten much larger. The redness is also spreading further down. It looks like she has been continuously shedding also.

She is currently in a one gallon quarantine tank heated to 78, but she was in my 55 gallon community tank with pearl gouramis, kuhli loaches, plus a male adf I got along with her about two months ago. I just heard they don't do well in larger tanks so I can always move them into one of my smaller betta tanks, but they had both been getting around well until the female got sick. The male is fine

The 55 gallon is cycled and the plants absorb all the nitrates so the parameters are always 0/0/0 ppm. The ph is 7.8 and the tank is heated to 78 F. I had been behind on water changes in the 55, but have been trying to keep up with my weekly changes since she got sick. The parameters were the same before doing the changes.

She has been eating and acting normally which makes me hopeful, but she literally has a massive hole in her head right now. I'm not sure what I should do now. I have still have maracyn 2, but I also have paraguard which I've been told different things about using it with adfs. There is a store near me that sells medication and another that might but I'm not sure what they have though. If I need to euthanize her I understand, I don't want her to suffer

Attachments

• 1 - uJPjZNF.jpg
    1 - uJPjZNF.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 2 - 20L871Y.jpg
    2 - 20L871Y.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 18
Wow that’s awful!

Sorry no one replied to you but probably because no one knew what it was! Did you end up having to euthanize?

Honestly that’s probably what I would have done after making a few attempts to treat and not having any response. If the frog is still around I would find a broad spectrum anti fungal and give that a try as a last ditch try!

Back
Top Bottom