ADF Leg Fell Off??!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elennamariie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A few days ago I noticed that one of my new African Dwarf frogs had a white cotton like fuzz growing on his back leg. I quickly put him in a quarantine tank because I came to the conclusion that it was a fungal infection. The fuzz completely covered his back leg and I was freaking out! So I ordered an antifungal called PimaFix. After adding that solution to the hospital tank I could see the fungus clearing! But I just checked on him right now and I saw the entire foot where the fungus was growing was completely gone!!!! The foot came off with the fungus! He now only has 1 back leg but still seems to be swimming fine. Has anyone ever experienced this?!?! I’m in shock! Will his leg grow back? He seems to be adapting really well

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

No its foot/ leg won't grow back :(

Fungus normally a secondary infection that gains entry into an open wound. The frog would have had an injury on its foot and that allowed the fungus to gain access. If you have more than one frog in the tank, the other frog might have bitten it. Alternatively, the frog might have caught or scratched its food on something in the tank, which allowed the fungus to enter an open wound.

You should check the tank for sharp objects and remove them.

If you have more than one frog, monitor them to make sure they aren't biting each other.

Make sure the water quality is good. You want ammonia and nitrite on 0ppm at all times, and nitrate as close to 0ppm as possible and below 20ppm at all times.

If the frog is tolerating the medication, keep the medication in the tank for one week after all the fungus is gone. Then do big daily water changes to dilute the medication.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Unfortunately my dwarf frog died :( still unsure of how this happened. I only have real aquatic plants in my tank, there’s nothing that could have hurt him. Although, he was a new frog so he may have been hurt/ sick when I got him already. My other 2 frogs seem totally fine! I’m sad for the one that died and hoping something like that never happens in the future. I have no idea why the whole leg came off! For days he had the fungus on his leg. I never saw my frogs interact at all so I doubt it got bit but nonetheless, the whole leg came off while I was treating him for the fungus on the leg. At least he’s not in pain anymore. All water perimeters were normal. Must have had something wrong with him when I purchased. Hope this helps someone else.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

No its foot/ leg won't grow back :(

Fungus normally a secondary infection that gains entry into an open wound. The frog would have had an injury on its foot and that allowed the fungus to gain access. If you have more than one frog in the tank, the other frog might have bitten it. Alternatively, the frog might have caught or scratched its food on something in the tank, which allowed the fungus to enter an open wound.

You should check the tank for sharp objects and remove them.

If you have more than one frog, monitor them to make sure they aren't biting each other.

Make sure the water quality is good. You want ammonia and nitrite on 0ppm at all times, and nitrate as close to 0ppm as possible and below 20ppm at all times.

If the frog is tolerating the medication, keep the medication in the tank for one week after all the fungus is gone. Then do big daily water changes to dilute the medication.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom