Adonis Pleco - New to my tank - Inherited from friend - Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ILuvMyTank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a >> pleco that I inherited from a friend and would like to know more about how to care for him because I think there must be something wrong...

He has been hiding since I introduced him into the tank.

Here are the answers to the questions from the moderator

1~What type of fish is afflicted?
This is an Adonis Pleco, he has been hiding since being introduced into the tank, I have fed him algae pellets, a pleco feeding block and even tried cucumber, none of which I can verify he actually ate... at all

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. AM=0 TRI=0 TRA=0 TEMp=78 PH =6.8

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
29 Gallon - about 2 months

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
whatever came with the tank -

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 8 platty 1-2", 2 silvertip shark/catfish 2" ea, 2 snails, 4 small shrimp, 2 algae eaters 2" unknown name & 1 Pleco

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel?
1/2 water change about a week ago with vacuum, I water change once every two weeks, and vacuum each time.
How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? all fish in tank have been there for at least two months, Pleco was introduced about two weeks ago, going on 3

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? I added a piece of driftwood because I read pleco like it.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? I feed dried shrimp, shrimp pellets, and flake food. about 1-2x per day.

I'm suspicious about your numbers.
Zero across the board isn't normal.

You'll need to do very regular large water changes.

You need to research your stock.

Your tank is WAY too small for many of those fish.

Adonis Plecos grow huge.
Silvertip Sharks grow huge.

Etc...

If the fish is new he may need time to settle in. Don't leave too much food in, it will pollute the water.

Do you have real wood for him to suck on ?

Are you sure it's an Adonis Pleco ?
"A single adult male can easily be the most dominant fish in a 1000 gallon aquarium with other large neotropical fish". They hit over 3'.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=277

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Acanthicus Adonis?
+1 to the 3' comment. I think that's a minimum length for one of these. Extremely aggressive. 300 gallons to just this pleco is still considered a small tank.

..Unfortunately they're very common in the trade. Another fish that should only be sold to public aquaria.

Silvertip Sharks get over a foot and go Brackish then full Salt as adults.

Most die from small tanks and non ideal conditions.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=700

I don't think most stores should sell them.

Please post pics of your "unknown" fish so we can help you ID them.

Post pics of the tank as well.

You've been sold way too many fish of the wrong kinds for that size tank.

Your Silvertip ( wide mouth Catfish ) will eat ANY fish that fit in his mouth at night. Predatory catfish.

Let's try to keep your fish alive for now. You'll need to decide whether you want some very large fish tanks or if you want to rehome them now while you can.

1,000g tank in your future ??

For now. I'd do an immediate 50% water change. Retest. If your tests are showing Zeros, have a store test your water. Are you using strips or liquid test kit ?

Silvertip Sharks get over a foot and go Brackish then full Salt as adults.

Most die from small tanks and non ideal conditions.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=700

I don't think most stores should sell them.

Please post pics of your "unknown" fish so we can help you ID them.

Post pics of the tank as well.

You've been sold way too many fish of the wrong kinds for that size tank.

Your Silvertip ( wide mouth Catfish ) will eat ANY fish that fit in his mouth at night. Predatory catfish.

Let's try to keep your fish alive for now. You'll need to decide whether you want some very large fish tanks or if you want to rehome them now while you can.

1,000g tank in your future ??

+1 Again.
Silver-Tips get anywhere from a foot to 16".
5" is really the longest you should wait before you convert them over to brackish- they will die in freshwater. They're also schooling so unless you have a tank that can support at least 3 of these as adults in full saltwater, rehome them.

I am not certain he is an Adonis, I know he is black and has white spots and the person who had him before me, had him for a long time and he never grew more than his current size, about 2-3" (I don't think they fed him properly)(I want to get him eating veggies etc..)

I did not know that the silvertips would get that big... there are 2, and right now they are about 2" ea... they seem happy but are picky when eating...

I was told that I could put up to 1" of fish per gallon of water... so right now including the snails and the 4 small shrimp there is about 16" of fish in a 29 gallon... I kept the rule at half to give them all room to grow...

One Platty I have is enormous... I think if he were a human he would be 500 pounds!

WATER LEVELS... the 0zeros are really more like 0-.25 I have had no problems with amonia, trites, or trates, the only problem I see is the PH runs low constantly...

Here is a Video of my tank -

Here is a picture - http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/post-your-full-tank-shot-here-1710-319.html#post3152049

The driftwood is new and is going to replace the hut on the left that the pleco is hiding in, if he ever comes out!

1" per Gallon is outdated and not used anymore.

Plus you weren't told adult sizes and it doesn't take in Compatibility or Swimming styles.

The big Platy is prob a female. If it's a male ? Maybe a deformity ? Do they breed Balloon Platies ? I know they do with Mollies.

Plecos are nocturnal. It's normal for them to hide. The nicer looking ones hide the most it seems.

I would return or rehome the Sharks.

Didn't you have 2 other fish that you didn't know the species ?

Here is a picture of the unknown fish, there are 2, I always seem to buy at least 2 of a kind... they stick to anything and everything and suck on algae

Re-home or return the silvertips huh? Ok, if that is what is best for THEM, I can understand they might need a brackish or salt environment as they get older...

8 Platies 1-2"
2 silvertip shark/catfish 2" ea
2 snails
4 small shrimp
2 algae eaters 2"
1 Pleco

The 2 mystery Algae eaters ?
Are they Chinese Algae Eaters ?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1162+1564&pcatid=1564 these can actually go to 12" and get aggressive and will suck body slime off slower tank mates.

Or are they Otos ? Note they have a flattened head and stay tiny.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1162+923&pcatid=923

Look up Common Plecos as well. I don't think yours is a Common, let's hope not.

Your Silvertips will eat the Shrimp if they can FYI.

At 2 months old, your tank is barely cycled. I would recommend not adding any fish, till you get your stock ID'd and worked out.

AqAdvisor is a tool that can help.
http://aqadvisor.com

I am not certain he is an Adonis, I know he is black and has white spots and the person who had him before me, had him for a long time and he never grew more than his current size, about 2-3" (I don't think they fed him properly)(I want to get him eating veggies etc..)

I did not know that the silvertips would get that big... there are 2, and right now they are about 2" ea... they seem happy but are picky when eating...

I was told that I could put up to 1" of fish per gallon of water... so right now including the snails and the 4 small shrimp there is about 16" of fish in a 29 gallon... I kept the rule at half to give them all room to grow...

One Platty I have is enormous... I think if he were a human he would be 500 pounds!

WATER LEVELS... the 0zeros are really more like 0-.25 I have had no problems with amonia, trites, or trates, the only problem I see is the PH runs low constantly...

Here is a Video of my tank -

Here is a picture - http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/post-your-full-tank-shot-here-1710-319.html#post3152049

The driftwood is new and is going to replace the hut on the left that the pleco is hiding in, if he ever comes out!
Could you chase the pleco out and get a picture of him?

If you really want to keep the sharks, buy at least a 55 gallon to start them out in, get it cycled, and start raising it up to brackish. You'll still have to upgrade to least a 100 gallons minimum just for those two. And they will have to be in full saltwater. They grow fast, so if you don't think you'll be able to provide that, don't risk it.

They're also predatory and even if they did survive in the current tank you'll find your other fish disappearing one at a time. For the time being try feeding some frozen blood worms.

Keeping the sharks in FW too long causes them to develop skin diseases that they'll eventually die from. It's not something you want to subject them to.

The reason for my post was originally based on my concern about the health of the pleco, I obtained him second hand, he apparently was never fed fresh veggies, only algae wafers... and according to the previous owner he has never grown much larger... I saw him when I moved him from the bucket to the tank, he was black with really nice white spots and he wasn't too big, probably 3" long...

Anyone have tips on how to get the pleco out?

SILVERTIPS> As for the silvertip sharks, they are only 2" long, should I ask the pet store to take them back? I cannot provide a non-fresh water environment for them nor a bigger tank... I really do like them though...

The reason for my post was originally based on my concern about the health of the pleco, I obtained him second hand, he apparently was never fed fresh veggies, only algae wafers... and according to the previous owner he has never grown much larger... I saw him when I moved him from the bucket to the tank, he was black with really nice white spots and he wasn't too big, probably 3" long...

Anyone have tips on how to get the pleco out?

SILVERTIPS> As for the silvertip sharks, they are only 2" long, should I ask the pet store to take them back? I cannot provide a non-fresh water environment for them nor a bigger tank... I really do like them though...
Do you know exactly how long he had the pleco for? A lot of plecos can take a very long time to grow. Fresh veggies aren't necessarily* essential to their health so that shouldn't have impacted his health at all.
Stunting could occur which will cut a fish's lifespan dramatically, but that would more likely be a result of being kept in too small of an aquarium.

Did he have any sign of being emancipated when you received him? Sunken eyes would be one indicator. Although it's not good, it can be resolved.
And finally, how land have you currently had him? Plecos spend the majority of their time, especially the really attractive, expensive ones it seems, hiding. If it was recently he might still be adjusting. Once he becomes more comfortable in the tank you might see him more.

(Another option is a blue light for night time viewing. They can't detect it, and it's the best way to watch your nocturnal fish. Many fish just come alive at night.)

Back
Top Bottom