Adopted abandoned fish left to die

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fcovey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I acquired a male betta and a common pleco fish a couple months ago as they had been abandoned in an apartment next to me and I couldn't just let them die. They were in a cracked 10 gallon tank with no substrate or decoration so I went and immediately bought a 20 gallon tank, 20 pounds worth of gravel, a hidey hole (small barrel type thing) for the pleco and a few fake plants for decorations. I'm a college student and I wasn't really expecting to suddenly adopt fish so I wasn't able to purchase a lot of the things I'm sure they need. I have the dechlorinator and they seem to be healthier already but I want to take the best care possible of them that I can and perhaps add a couple more fish someday. I learned how to set up the tank the best I could with what I had on hand but that's about it. My tank currently has a terrarium lid just to keep my cat out of it, but I basically just have algae wafers, bloodworms, betta food, and that's it. I know I need a ton of stuff but I don't even know where to start, especially on a budget. So if you guys could tell me the absolute necessities, things I can wait on and what not I would really appreciate it. I never imagined I'd have fish but I've grown attached and if anyone has suggestions about fish I can add later when I have a better setup that cohabitat well with bettas and plecos would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a couple pictures of my babies, MoonBeam, my pleco, and Starry for my betta. He wouldn't hold still for a pic but I think his colors should still be brighter than they are. Granted, when I got him he was nearly dead so even a little color makes me happy right now.

Attachments

• 20170911_195713.jpg
    20170911_195713.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 65
  • 20170911_195926.jpg
    20170911_195926.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 72
A filter should probably be your top priority. Plecos produce a decent amount of waste. You can get one of the ones that hang on the back of the tank. I would recommend an Aquaclear 30 if you are on a budget but honestly anything is better than nothing. Check your local craigslist as aquarium supplies have very little value used.

Next you need to learn about the nitrogen cycle. The fish produce ammonia which is toxic to them. Until your tank is "cycled" you will need to change portions of the water out so they have clean oxygenated.

If the temperature in the room falls much below 75, your next priority should be a heater.

I keep my apartment between 73-75 degrees at all times so would they be okay for awhile without a heater? I want to get them everything they need and want to be happy and healthy but it's going to basically be one purchase at a time unless, like you said, I can find some deals on craigslist.

Yes, filtration will be much more important in the short-term.

If you are in a populated area check to see if there are any local clubs or facebooks groups for fish keepers. Many people have stacks of old filters lying around that they give away or sell cheaply.

Dalto summed it up. Just remember feed your fish very sparingly. They don't need very much food to survive, especially for the next month or so. Don't be in a hurry to add anymore fish.
Your fish look good, so you must be handling things okay. Good job.

I know it's hard to tell in the pic of my betta but I think he has finrot, is that something I can fix? I know I should clean their tank more often (currently every two weeks) because that may have attributed to it but I'm a petite female and it takes me hours to clean the tank myself. Granted, I'm sure I'm doing it in the most difficult way possible. And I read something about fish-in cycling, what is that exactly? If I'm not doing it are my babies going to die?

How sparingly? I've been switching between the red flaky betta food and bloodworms every few days for the betta and an algae wafer about every other day for the pleco. But now I'm worried that he's being tortured in too tiny of a tank since I just learned plecos prefer huge tanks and I just can't afford a huge tank right now.

And I read something about fish-in cycling, what is that exactly?
It is what you should be doing at this point. You need a filter. Once you have one you will only need to change a portion of the water. How are you changing the water now?

But now I'm worried that he's being tortured in too tiny of a tank since I just learned plecos prefer huge tanks and I just can't afford a huge tank right now.

How big is the pleco now?

Feed the betta once every few days. Just enough food that the betta can eat in just a few minutes. Break the algae waffers in 2 or 3 peices and feed the pleco one of the broken chunks every other day. It should only take about 20 minutes to clean your tank. Buy a small tank siphon and a plastic 3 to 5 gallon bucket, to be used only for your tank. While your tank is cycling you need to siphon out about 5 gal. Of dirty water every day or at least every other day. After about a month, the water change is a once or twice a week chore. Be sure to research aquarium maintenence.

It is what you should be doing at this point. You need a filter. Once you have one you will only need to change a portion of the water. How are you changing the water now?

How big is the pleco now?

I would estimate 6-8 inches, but I know he was neglected by previous owners so he could be super old and just have stunted growth

Right now I put the two fish in a gallon bag with the water they were already in, manually scoop out the water with a pitcher until it's light enough I can slide it onto a rolly chair. Then I take it into the bathroom with two strainers and use straight hot water to sift through and rinse the rocks (I normally have decorations soaking in hot water in the sink during this), put the rocks in a big bucket, rinse the tank with straight hot water and wipe it down with fresh busboy rags (not sure if it matters but the busboys don't leave lint). Then I put the clean rocks back in, and try to feel the water they were in and what I'm putting them in to get it as close as possible. Once I get the rocks, water, dechlorinator and decor back in the tank I put the bag with the fish still in it in the fresh water and let them set for about an hour to acclimate then let them back into the tank.

I'm sure this is probably wrong but I can't stand to see their tank dirty and didn't know about all these awesome tools like gravel vacs till just now

Would a pickle bucket work? I know I would have to clean it thoroughly but do you think there'd still be too many toxins leftover to be viable?

I would estimate 6-8 inches, but I know he was neglected by previous owners so he could be super old and just have stunted growth
Honestly, common plecos are pretty hardy. He is still small. With frequent water changes you should be fine until he gets bigger.

Right now I put the two fish in a gallon bag with the water they were already in, manually scoop out the water with a pitcher until it's light enough I can slide it onto a rolly chair. Then I take it into the bathroom with two strainers and use straight hot water to sift through and rinse the rocks (I normally have decorations soaking in hot water in the sink during this), put the rocks in a big bucket, rinse the tank with straight hot water and wipe it down with fresh busboy rags (not sure if it matters but the busboys don't leave lint). Then I put the clean rocks back in, and try to feel the water they were in and what I'm putting them in to get it as close as possible. Once I get the rocks, water, dechlorinator and decor back in the tank I put the bag with the fish still in it in the fresh water and let them set for about an hour to acclimate then let them back into the tank.

I'm sure this is probably wrong but I can't stand to see their tank dirty and didn't know about all these awesome tools like gravel vacs till just now
That *is* a lot of work.

There is really no need to acclimate them back. Fresh water is the most important thing.
I would just remove most of the water and then refill it.

Honestly, common plecos are pretty hardy. He is still small. With frequent water changes you should be fine until he gets bigger.

That *is* a lot of work.

There is really no need to acclimate them back. Fresh water is the most important thing.
I would just remove most of the water and then refill it.

Since I just did that full clean today should I wait a couple days to start the cycling? I plan on getting the filter tomorrow but I don't want to shock their systems by messing with their tank too much too often

There is really no need to do so much to clean the tank. Every week or 2 weeks you can just take out 10-20% of the water from the tank and replace it with dechlorinated water.

Also you should not clean anything with tap water as it will kill all the good bacteria on the surfaces that you wash.

There is really no need to do so much to clean the tank. Every week or 2 weeks you can just take out 10-20% of the water from the tank and replace it with dechlorinated water.

Also you should not clean anything with tap water as it will kill all the good bacteria on the surfaces that you wash.

Since it is an uncycled unfiltered tank, doing 90-100% water changes is really the only option right now.

Back
Top Bottom