Advice needed on fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flatty

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok brief history. Had a few black neons come down with Ich. Raised temp to 86 and has been there 2 weeks. I had a dwarf honey gourami die though think she might have been sick when I got her as she was pooing long white poo almost immediately. Because I didn't know how to medicate after that since noone had any symptoms aside from ich I just left the tank hot. The next day I lost a red eye tetra with no visible signs of anything. I didnt catch it for probably 12 hours and got him out of there. The same time i noticed a red mark almost like a blood blister on my ram. I checked the water and the ammonia was slightly up (.25 ppm) so I did a 25% water change. I dipped the ram in some salt water for 15 mins and then started using melafix which seems to be helping the redspot as it is hard to see anymore. I am only on my third dose of melafix but today i notice slight nitrites (.25 as well) which is probably because, i had to half butcher my filter cartridge to get the carbon out, ammonia is gone nitrates are still 0. I am pondering changing out 5 or 10 gallons (36 gal tank) but not sure if i should till i am done with the melafix stuff. Just trying to do things right. First aquarium in 20 years and to be honest i never did any maintenance before and didnt have as much trouble as i am having now that I am trying to do it right. Perhaps it was just dumb luck. Tank is bout 3 months old.

Maybe you could do the water change and replace the amount of medicine you took out? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will post here too. I hope everything works out :)

45 gal. freshwater and 10 gal. female betta tanks

When using melafix, make sure there the carbon filter is out, otherwise no point in medicating because it will absorb the medication

Yeah I think that's why my nitrite levels were a little higher. I did try to keep my filter media mostly intact but they are cartridges so i sliced the side open and got most all carbon out. but virtually destroyed cartridge doing it. Got some extra blue filter media and put it in to try to give more surface are for the bacteria to live on so that next time I wont completely decimate my biofilter when I swap cartridge back in.

Well the ram started looking better but then i noticed the stringy white poo on him as well. The next morning i noticed him flashing i guess he was swimming aggressively in the sand and the red spot was now a streak. The lfs recommended a salt dip and I did it and he seemed fine but was still going crazy in the sand so I took him up to the lfs. he said it was hard to tell but because of the poo put some metro in a bag and dipped him. He sent me home with that and I put the fish back in the tank. he seemed fine all day but when i went to feed him he swam up and then just ignored the food and even seemed repulsed by it. Five minutes later he swam into a corner and hid there on the bottom not really swimming or anything so I pulled him from the tank and did my best to piece together a workable hospital tank and popped him in there. Because the lfs had dipped in metro i continued with general cure but I honestly don't know if this is the right course. I am pretty sure he doesn't have long left though at this rate. Any advice? Tank water is 0,0,5 ph is 7.5

Back
Top Bottom