Advice please! Spots on pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corynelius

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I picked up this clown pleco a couple days ago, he's very active, eating and swimming all over, but he's got these white spots and I can't tell if it is ick or just his camo.

I've got a 55 long. 5 Cory's, 3 red hooks and 5 torpedo barbs.

Attachments

• qWPlB8NO-7909145.jpg
    qWPlB8NO-7909145.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 0U8Tf21u-7908243.jpg
    0U8Tf21u-7908243.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 28
  • AR5vfjdF-7908154.jpg
    AR5vfjdF-7908154.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 30
Do they look like little grains of salt? It does look like ick to me.

Do they look like little grains of salt? It does look like ick to me.

Thank you, after searching through some forums and a lot of images and seeing your reply, I think you are right. I am using half doses of the medication because of my corys and I increased the temperature in my tank slightly. I am not going to be home for a couple of days, but I will be home to do the first water change after this first dose. I can have someone do the second dose of the medication, do you think waiting an extra day or two to do the second and final water change is a problem?

I haven't used meds for ick, I just slowly raised the heat, plenty of pwc and increased aeration. Be careful that the meds you are using are safe for plecos.

Shellyx is right. Ich always goes away on its own in my experience if you bump the temp up a little bit and maintain good water quality. General rule of thumb is to avoid meds unless you absolutely have to.

Back
Top Bottom