Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

African cichlid parasite help!

Well, i was looking at my 125 gallon today, and noticed a couple strange thing. A peacock and a hap both had a weird, small, stringy thing hanging of their body. It is kind of a clearish color. One has it at the bottom of his head, and the other has it right by his dorsal fin in the middle of his body. And i noticed also that my phenochilus looks like it lost a scale, so im wondering if something will show up on him soon too. ATM there is only 7 fish in there total, and i last performed a water change on saturday. After research, im thinking its an anchor worm, but does anyone else have any ideas?? They are all acting fine.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, sounds like anchor worm Lernea spp.. They lay eggs, so you will be best to treat the whole tank with a crustacean killing treatment.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Any good ideas on one?? Will it be expensive??
Old 05-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't really know if it is or not. Its small, there is really nothing distinguishable about them, except the one on my Usisya almost looks like its scale is still hanging on the end of the string or something.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:20 AM   #5
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarine View Post
Any good ideas on one?? Will it be expensive??
Anchor worms (females) have a distinct 'Y' shape. Males are not visible to the naked eye. It is common to see a fish missing a scale(s) or to have an odd spot/bump or sore where the worm will burrow out from.

As they are not actually worms but crustaceous copepods, they need to be treated with a med that is an insecticide. Older DTHP based treatments (such as Clout) or malathion can be extremely toxic and very difficult to remove from a tank fully. Cyromazine is a much safer, newer alternative that can be found in Hikari's Cyropro. It's sold by most online aquatic suppliers and pond stores. Just make sure the instructions are followed exactly.

Tags
african, african cichlid, cichlid, ich, parasite

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com