after ich meltdown, ich and live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alchemy129

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok background info : i just had a ich attack in my 6 gallon planted community tank. It wiped ot all the living fish in two days, excpet the suspected carriers that were 2 balloon belly mollies that lasted a week. Anyway all the dead fish are out as of today and i have been treating the tank daily with "Ick away"since day 1. All thats left in the tank are some pest snails and a small ramshorn..im guessing snails are immune to ick. And also i have 4 misc live plants in the there which brings me to my question,-
can ick be on the live plants "carried by them if u will" so do i need to throw them all away or will they survive being scalded or what i really like the plants, and i'm guessing i need to take the whole tank down and scald everything before i add new fish don't i or is that not neccesarry?..and yes it will be cycled again if i start over.

You do not need to start over. Without fish in the aquarium your Ich will die within days. Think of ich as a mosquito which needs a host to feed on. Without fish, the Ich can not survive. Ich only has a 3 day life cycle, so waiting 5 days will be plenty of time.
Your biggest concern should be identifying why you had a disease outbreak to begin with. Test you pH, Ammonia, and Nitrite before adding any more fish.

Also, you had way to many fish in such a small tank. A pair of Balloon Molly's would have been plenty by themselves, and it looks like you had several more fish. Also, in such a small tank, you need to stick to only 1 species of fish. Mixing species in a small tank will only lead to stress on your fish and make them more suseptable to disease.

What pet shop are you working with? I'm curious who would suggest such a heavy stocking load in a small tank. The best shops for knowledgable employees in your area are Sandys Pet Shop, Pets Palace, Noah's Ark, Auburndale, & Southside Pets. I would stay away from the Feeders Supply & Super Pet stores...

Good luck!

- Taylorsville, KY

Back
Top Bottom