After salt treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeepAsHadal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do I need to water change out aquarium salt to lower the concentration over several days after treatment to prevent osmotic shock? I treated my betta in with aquarium salt after flukes in QT and he's ready for his main tank.

Aiken Drum, you're correct, I am wondering if I should slowly acclimatize with unsalted water changes over days before I transfer my fish to the main tank. There's a lot of information about how to start the salt, but I'm not sure about stopping it.

I know salt doesn't go away and during the treatment I only redosed the salt at water changes for the replaced water.

Do I need to water change out aquarium salt to lower the concentration over several days after treatment to prevent osmotic shock? I treated my betta in with aquarium salt after flukes in QT and he's ready for his main tank.

Since sodium isn't consumed in any way the only way the remove the salt is through water changes. However, it won't happen quickly unless you clean your substrate regularly. Even if you clean your gravel regularly the process takes a little while. If you're concerned about trace amouts there are cheap salinity meters available.

Yeah, I missed your true question on the original post, sorry. Honestly I'm not sure either. Makes sense to acclimate them back tho

Can’t say I’ve seen anything either but thinking same.

I’ve done SW strength dips and they seem to handle ok but going back they looked knocked about so must have some impact I guess going back to normal tank water.

Back
Top Bottom