Aggressive skirt tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vacuumlad

Aquarium Advice Freak
We have had two black skirt tetras and two white skirt tetras and one long fin tetra for about 2 months. Now they are starting to become aggressive the black skirt tetra's are nipping the other fins and one of my black neon tetra's has its tail bit off see the picture. What can I do to stop this aggression?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433169412.472198.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433170269.482078.jpgsorry for the bad pic but this is them attacking each other.

What size tank?
Can you add more skirts?

Black Skirt tetras are generally peaceful and can be kept in community aquariums with other peaceful fish species of similar size. They can however be a bit nippy when kept with fish that have long and flowing fins, such as Angelfish and Bettas, especially if the Black Skirt tetras are kept in a small group. If your Black Skirt tetras start to nip, you can often solve the problem by purchasing more Black Skirt tetras and create a larger shoal.

^taken from ^
Black Skirt Tetra

2 is small for a schooling fish, they both need schools of 5-6 this should help calm them down.

I do not want any more off these evil fish. It's a 36 gallon tank. We have 5 of them and I want to get rid of them before they harm more fish. I have no were to put them. My black neon is not doing well he can't swim because the skirt tetras attacked him.

You said you have 2 of each skirt tetra. They are uncomfortable and nipping because you haven't provided a big enough school for them to feel comfortable and play nice. Make sense?

I have kept both black and white skirt tetras and NEVER had any fin nipping issues. Each has a school of 5.

I have kept both black and white skirt tetras and NEVER had any fin nipping issues. Each has a school of 5.

+1. With proper care and requirements, White skirt tetras can be beautifully peaceful fish for a community tank.

So black skirt tetras and white skirt tetras won't school together because of their color I didn't know fish were racist.

No, they are the same species: white skirts are just a color morph of black skirts. I have both, and they school/shoal together fine.

A species and a genetically modified fish that came from it. In my book 2 different species that look nothing alike. I've kept mine together and they never even noticed one another.

Either way, OP your answer lies in the school, bump it up or get rid of them.

Back
Top Bottom