Ah! ****! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mother2kamryn

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Gourami is dying. It's just chilling at the bottom. The brilliance in it's color has drastically decreased. It's not eating. It's struggling to swim to the surface. There are no wounds that i can see, he's not gasping for air. He's just sitting there laying on his side. occasionaly he'll move but it seems as though he's having problems moving. All my other fish are doing just fine. I don' t think that it has anything to do with ph, ammonia, Nitrate, nitrite, or anything like that. Please help me before i lose him. oh God please.

I have only had the gourami since January (I think) I lost 2 other gourami's last week with the same symtoms. He is the only one left. :(

Only thing I can suggest is a 50% water change. Could be a parasite of some sort but I can't think of a specific one.

TY for the suggestion. I currently dont have any testing kits but Nitrate levels might be an issue. If my Nitrate levels were above... say 20 or so would that explain the stress of the fish and possible death?

Sorry for opening another post. My hubby started this one and I did the one on the above link from Managerie. lol. symptoms have changed since the other post. Loss in color due to stress and laying on the bottom now. and some struggling to get to the top.

I guess I will have him to a partial water change and see if that helps.. I just figured that if it was the water conditions that my angels would be acting out of the norm also and they arent.

thanks agian for all the advice! :) ( God, I love this website)

I just don't know what to tell you, mother2kamryn. Water parameters can cause problems, but since this is an on going problem.... Are the other fish in the tank doing well?
The one member that might have the answer is on vacation for awhile.

It may be that these gouramis are just weak and small things stress them out. The aquarium industry is not highly regulated and inbreeding tends to bring out the bad with the good. Take solace in knowing you provided these fish with the best care. Owning a fish with poor genetics happens to all of us and is unavoidable. I recently lost my last clown loach the other night. The other two died within 3 weeks of me bringing them home. All other fish are fine, water parameters are fine.

Sorry for opening another post
That's not a problem, I just didn't want you to get all the same questions, which takes time. If someone can identify what is going on, then the other post will help them get an answer to you quicker.

Hi mother2kamryn,
What you are describing -- lying at the bottom, on its side, struggling to come up, not eating -- sound like my betta a week or so before he died. A gourami is also a labyrinth fish like a betta. You could try QTing the gourami and giving him some medicine. Jungle Fungus Eliminator is a yellow powder, and it treats bacterial and fungal infections. I thought that my betta may have had a bacterial infection, so I tried that. I've also used Kanacyn, an antibiotic (open the capsule and put the powder in the tank.)

Kanacyn and Fungus Eliminator have worked miracles for me before. They didn't save my betta in the end, but I wanted to try something, and those 2 meds worked before for me.

Another simple thing you can try is to lower the water level to about 6 inches or so (be careful if you have a submersible heater -- unplug it first). The gourami needs to get to the surface, like a betta, to fill his labyrinth organ with air. If it's easier for him to get to the surface, that may help to perk him up. If not, it may make him more comfortable. If you do this, I would keep the water that you take out, and if it doesn't look like it's helping, then replace the water so you can keep the heater on and at least keep him warm. Hope this helps a little.

P.S. I do agree with Menagerie about inbreeding and poor genetics. My very first betta got finrot about 3 weeks after I got him, and he always had it to some extent. He must have had bad genes or something. He was happy and active, and I learned a lot in treating him. I had him for 1 year and 10 months. Near the end he acted like your gourami, and I thought that the almost constant treating I did for his finrot may have caused a super-resistant bacterial outbreak in the end...I'll never know. But I know how frustrating it is to see your little fish friend sick. Good luck in treating him.

if it is a external parasite would'nt a saltwater dip work, if internal iam guessing medicine for him but as menagerie said inbreeding brings out the good and bad, so it may just be that. he also could have had a bad "childhood" in his first tank and never completly recovered.

Back
Top Bottom