Albino cories with red lines that come and go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kilgore

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I have had my two albino cories for about 3 months now and I have noticed that they sometimes get a pinkish-red line (streak) that starts at the base of their tales and goes up along their spine (visible through their side) about half way up their body. They also have a similar reddish spot that appears directly behind the head.

There are no other red streaks or spots or anything that cries out "bacterial infection." Barbels and fins are in perfect condition. Eyes are clear. Behavior is erratic at times, but hey, they're albino cories. They have very healthy appetites.

The fact that the lines come and go, and in the exact same location on each fish, led me to believe it was more of a mood thing, similar to cichlids altering their colors, but I am not sure. I suppose it could be bacterial and the color fades or darkens as the fish battle the infection.

Does anyone else notice this on their albino cories? Should they be completely white? Please let me know.

Thanks!

The condition of the barbels is the best indicator of your corys' health. Everything you describe (especially the erratic behavior) suggests that your corys are happy and healthy.

I would guess that the red streaks you're seeing are the dorsal blood vessels. The red spot behind the head might be the heart.

I've noticed this 2-3 times on my albino cories of the course of 3 years or so that I've had them. No other signs of illness and they are all still living. My guess is that it's normal in some form, and nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom