Algae bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have some nice algae growing on my back glass but was a little concerned b/c I am having water quality issues (fin rot).

Continued fin rot lost about 10 fish in the last year. I read some where that cyno bacteria can be toxic and is red like my algae. Just making sure that that is not the issue b/c it looks sweet!

image-2648099888.jpg

I am thinking about wiping it down, but I like the look of it.

I can never tell on the chart but over 40 last time I checked. Tap is under 40. I have been doing water changes pretty much every day for the last week. I will test again and post results later today.

Could be. I just can't read the chart very well. 40 is where it changes from orange to red, and I can tell the difference.

Ok, results are in. Ph -8, nitrites -0, ammonia - .25, nitrates - 30 (down from 80 a week ago)
Tap is the same except ammonia looked a little greener - .5 & nitrates are 5.

Guess I just need to keep up the water changes. I am doing around 10 gallons daily. Should I do 20 gallons a day?

I'm not sure what tank size this is but prolonged exposure to nitrates would explain the fin rot. You need to perform enough water changes to keep the nitrates below 20ppm. I do 50-60% weekly on every tank as this keeps even some of heavily stocked tanks under 20ppm.

Last edited:
Sorry 56 gallon. I have been changing around 20 gallons. Then I dropped to around 15 gallons since I was doing them every day.

Back
Top Bottom