algae eater for my setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my 29 gal is showing some algae growth. is there any algae eater that I can add, considering my current stock (check my signature)?

Do you call your shark "The Donald"? The show is on tonight, better pull up sharky a chair!

For the tank I recommend a clown, rubber lip or bristle nose pleco. They only grow to 4-5". I own at least three of each (I love plecos), they are still young and do a great job!

i am going to add 3 green barbs to my tank this weekend. You think adding 3 plecos like you said - will the bioload be ok ?

I have one pleco (green neon/L200) in my 29Gal, he seems to do an ok job.. But I think I need to get another one.. Anyway , if you get more than one make sure you have enough hiding spots for them. GL

You could also try a small school of 3 ottos . They won't add much to your bioload & you prob have enough plants for them to hide , just in case your barbs are nippy . Just make sure to throw in the odd algae disc , cause whatever you decide to buy , your algae will be soon gone .

Putting more than one bristlenose in your tank , especially if you plan on adding 3 more barbs , would prob be too much of a bioload . Adding 3 bristlenoses would definately be too much . Even plecos as small as bristlenoses will produce a lot of waste . Don't forget about adding the spiralina discs or vegies to supplement its feeding .

I kept a rainbow shark with ottos & they got along just fine . Ottos are small enough that they can hide in your plants if the tiger barbs get nippy . Just take a good look at the ottos in your dealers tank before buying them . Look for the fat ones & avoid any with sunken bellies . A lot of people seem to have problems keeping ottos alive , so make sure to buy the plumpers . If they are starved , the bacteria in their guts needed to digest plant matter will die off , causing them to eventually die .

Back
Top Bottom