All goldfish hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newgirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
would be really grateful for any advice on something. My goldfish are in a 90 gallon tank (5 common goldfish about 6 inches big) - I have an EHEIM 2217 canister filter and an aqua clear 70 on the tank (about 250 gallons of filtration power but with minimal current). Ammonia 0 - Nitrite - 0 - Nitrate 5.

They are all hunched in a corner - just for the last week or so. I changed their food from sinking granules to pond goldfish food but hadn't changed anything else. The thermometer in the tank broke but I removed the broken pieces and did a big water change (30-40%) but still they are hunched in a corner.

I did another 30% water change two days later but they are still hiding.

Have changed them back to their original food but still no change.

One of them had a black scale or two (I was letting them snack on small pond snails for a while but I understand this can give them the black scale issue). The black scale issue has gone now but still they are hunched in a corner.

They are eating but not as enthusiastically.

I can't figure out what is wrong. I have added an extra air bar as they seem to be opening and closing their mouths slowly but are not gasping at the surface or anything.

Would be grateful for any thoughts. I intend to add them to a pond at some point but have no idea why they have this behavour - they are all doing it.

Did you add any chemicals like algae remover?
Is the air pump or power filters vibrating and scaring the fish?
Anything else really loud or vibratey next to them?
Fish can get scared, and the algae stuff or other chemicals can be overdose aand cause them to hang suddenly.

Back
Top Bottom