All my fish died after water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigQFan

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, this happened to me once last winter and now it's happened to a friend of mine just last night. She did a small water change(4-5 gallons in a 46 gallon bowfront) and within 3 hours lost over half of her fish. Did a water test immediately and nitrite and ammonia were 0, nitrate about 40 ppm. It's a newer tank, maybe 6-8 weeks old and she is frustrated.
Yes, she uses Prime in the new water and matched temps fairly close.
Anything we are missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could the chlorine content have changed in the tap water? Sometimes water companies play with it throughout the year.

Caleb

That occurred to me as well but it was a Sunday night. Makes me think that all the chlorine would have been flushed by then but it's definitely a possibility. Is there a way to test for chlorine?

That occurred to me as well but it was a Sunday night. Makes me think that all the chlorine would have been flushed by then but it's definitely a possibility. Is there a way to test for chlorine?

Best way to know is call the water company and ask.

Caleb

Thanks

I don't think it is a chlorine issue.
4-5 g in a 46 is only10%.
Chlorine would have to be pretty high IMO.

For testing for chlorine you just need OTO solution.
2-3 drops in 5-10 ml water .
If any yellow is shown then some chlorine is present.
I got my OTO from a breeder/chemist friend but pool supply store or Ebay sell them.

That happened to me last year. I spent weeks trying to figure out what happened. I finally realized I had been cleaning my house and used glass cleaner. I had washed my hands but not good enough. I must have had a small amount of glass cleaner on my skin and that is very toxic to fish. I am more careful now.

Back
Top Bottom