All my fish died. Trying to figure out why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

audetterrr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5 gallon tank and had 6 fish. I started my tank with one beta and two neon tetras. They seemed to get along for a month or so and therefore figured it was safe to add more more fish. Before i added the new fish i had my water checked and all seemed well. I added two Dalmatian Molly's and a sucker fish. I look at my fish everyday and about 2 weeks after I added the new fish I noticed the tetras had very little fins left. The Molly's seemed very aggressive but knowing about betas past aggressiveness I assumed it was the beta who attacked the tetras. So right away I put the beta in a separate bowl. The next day both tetras died. The following day the beta died. I did a small water change in my 5 gallon and my sucker and 2 Molly's seemed healthy. I went away on a long weekend and came back to all my fish dead. Where did I go wrong? I'm going to start over again and don't want a repeat.

Was the aquarium cycled? Sounds like new tank/too many fish at once syndrome.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nitrite poisoning sounds like a valid cause in my opinion. This can also cause breakdown of fins as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The combination of "too many fish at once syndrome" and nitrite poisoning sounds about right. Thank you

The lady at the aquarium shop I bought them from said it would be fine. She clearly was wrong. A mistake I won't make again.

5 gallon is large enough for the betta alone. Look up nitrogen cycle in aquarium and you should know all you need to get started. Do you have a filter?

When a lfs employee says something instantly run back home and double check it before making a purchase. Some of them out there are good, but a lot of them can be inexperienced or just trying to sell more product.

Until you have a working relationship with one of the good ones then trust nothing they say without researching it from another source.

Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my N861 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When a lfs employee says something instantly run back home and double check it before making a purchase. Some of them out there are good, but a lot of them can be inexperienced or just trying to sell more product.

Until you have a working relationship with one of the good ones then trust nothing they say without researching it from another source.

Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my N861 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 Yup !!!!

Back
Top Bottom