all my fry are dying.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clareybaby87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi, i have a separate 20ltr tank for my fry, the oldest fry in there are 8 weeks old and giving birth to fry of their own, the youngest are 1 week old swordtails.
We've had deaths every so often, around 1 or 2 a week, sometimes more.
Now in the last 3 days, 32 fry have died. Its been a mixture of the young swordtails, and the older ones.
What i have also noticed is that some of the bigger guppys tails are pointed, i don't know if thats normal or not?
They are being fed 3 times a day, on tetra mini baby food, which was recommended to me. Every so often (altho i haven't done 4 about 2 weeks) i cut up frozen blood worm aswell and pop that in there.
The babies are in a breeding box in the fry tank, as the older ones started pecking at them as soon as we put the sword tails in the tank, so we had to net them all back out again and but them in the box.
I've done water tests which are fine. There was a tinge of green in the ammonia test tube lastnight, which has never harmed them before, but i changed the water anyway. I'm using interpret tap safe, which i've always used, and its never been an issue, and the temp is on 26 degrees, so there shouldn't be a problem. But just walked passed the tank 5 mins ago, and there were 7 more dead babies (32 in total)
Anyone have any ideas? i've been waiting months to finally have swordtail fry and they are all dying, i'm gutted. Plus theres some lovely guppies in there that i don't want to lose. We already lost our favourite (and biggest) dalmation molly the day b4 yesterday (which we were going to keep) Really don't want to lose anymore.
So the 2 questions are y r they dying?
and y are some of their tails pointed?
:S thanks 4 n e help u can give me.

How many fry are in your tank? Even though fry don't have the same tank requirements as their adults - keeping dozens and dozens of fry in a 20ltr could be overcrowding.

What kind of aeration do you have on the tank? Bubble wall? just the filter flow? Fry can die from lack of oxygen and you might not even know it because they are too small to go to the surface and gulp.

As for the pointed tails - are they bent in an odd direction, or does it just look like their tail fins are collapsed in?

A fish holding its tailfin closed can be stressed or sick - but if the tail is actually deformed, then that may just be a result of in-breeding too many generations of the same strain of fish.

Hey, i have about 30(ish) adults, and now about 30-40 babies.
I have a sponge filter in there, which acts as a filter and an air filter.
They've been healthy upto now.
I can't really explain the tail, just that it goes like this : < instead of the normal shape. just like an arrow head or sumin.
They could be sick, but i can't tell if they r, which i normally can with my fish in the main tank. Would probably explain so many deaths.
We have huge guppys in there, which are about 8 weeks old, with lovely blue/see through tails.
The ones with the pointy tails tend to be the ones born a few weeks before, whose mothers tail was orange and black. Although she was in her own tank for a while, and the ammonia was really bad. (we didnt have a home test kit at that point) when we found out the ammonia was bad, we put her back in the main tank, and within a week she'd given birth to her babies and died from i'm assuming ammonia poisoning. We found about 10 babies which we put in the little tank.

Moving this to the unhealty fish forum in the FW section. You`ll get more answers there.

How often and how much water do you change? Are you testing your water?

i test the water every 2 days, and then tend to have to change the water aswell. We struggled with the water quality for weeks and we'd have to change the water everyday, but now lately its just about started to level out, so i can change the water every 2 - 3 days.
today noticed 5 more little baby swordtail dead, that makes the count 37 dead babies now.

Back
Top Bottom