Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All neon tetras are sick

Last night it started with one that was confused and swimming in circles. Today there are 2 that I see and a few that look faded. I added some Cory's to my tank a week ago and I'm afraid they made my neons sick.

I am going to setup a quarantine tank I am just unsure weather to move all of them or just the ones that look infected?

and are my corys safe?

Do I do a water change?

Sad day

Old 04-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #2

My neons do that

I think it is because your light is off too much!
Keep the light on for 24 hours and see if there colour comes back

It worked for me .

Old 04-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sure that the lighting schedule has nothing to do with this.

How long have you had the neons? As you've probably heard, they are a very sensitive, almost sickly, species now due to overbreeding.

What size tank and are you cycled?
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have the neons for a couple months. I got two more 1 1/2 weeks ago. We also brought home 4 cory's almost a week ago.

The tank is a 28 gallon that we have had since February 21st. We believe it is cycled.

The tank is cycled and has been reading 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10-20 nitrate. The pH changed a bit yesterday but only by .2 so I wrote it off. The nitrites looked like they were higher than 0 but not .25 so we did a 75% water change this morning and removed the fish that is acting strange.

There are a few possibilities that i can tell and I am not an expert. This fish, we think, has been separating himself/herself for a while. I am sure they were fed too much especially after adding the cory's to the thank. There were some potbellies the other day so I didn't feed yesterday. He is swimming and spinning around and around. Sort of swimming in circles while spinning. He looks like he is curved to the left a bit..

I am making some peas and putting them in the ISO tank with him for now. Not sure what else to do.

We aren't sure if it is swim bladder, neon tetra disease........ or something else.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #5

In my experience they loss colour
(IMO)
I then found out from my LFS to keep the light on more and there colour came back.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He is swimming like this. Not sure what it is. I am thinking it is not swim bladder because he is not floating to the top. We aren't sure if it is NTD because he does have a curved spine but no white patches.

Sick Neon.avi - YouTube

I have noticed with the lights off my neons brightness fades. But this guy is definitely 'off'.

Thanks all!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know that when a neon separates itself from the school, it is a symptom of NTD. I had purchased a school for my community tank, did not quarantine, and proceeded to watch 1/2 of my tank perish to the disease, it's that contagious. I never noticed anything like fuzz on my fish during this event. They died pretty much before they were symptomatic.

Fast your fish for at least 2 days. See if that makes a difference. I would turn the lights off for a little longer than is usual, as this sometimes calms stressed fish.

Your parameters sound good and you're taking the right steps.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 04-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm wondering if he will make it or should be euthanized. The rest of the school seems ok for now. Opinions on his current state? Turned lights off on the community tank. http://ft.beejive.com/upload/gtalk/4...0405084553.MOV
Old 04-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can't see the video as I'm on work computer.

Euthanasia is a tough, and very personal, call. When I'm dealing with a highly contagious disease like NTD or columnaris, I will cull symptomatic fish. I feel it's for the good of the tank, as a whole.

Without having a true diagnosis on your neon, it's hard to say what you should do in that regard.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the help! I added some betta fix to the water (not that it will help much) I will stop by Petsmart later and see what I can find I was reading something about giving the other fish a med bath just in case but not sure if I should or not. Was also debating antibiotics in case it was False Neon Tetra Disease.

Tags
ick, neon, neon tetra, neon tetras, sick, tetras

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com