Alligator pipefish not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmalone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday, I bought a freshwater alligator pipefish. When I got home, I put it in my big tank with other fishes like guppy, tetras, yoyo loach, mollies, etc. This morning I found out that the alligator pipefish stays still all the time. He (or she) wont eat with other fishes when its feeding time. So, I take him out and put him in a smaller heavily planted tank which only has shrimps and snails. Is this a right choice??? I see that he's more active than when he's in the big tank, but he wont eat the flakes I give him. Please give some advice!!! @_@ Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my SM-N900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1410304220207.jpg
    1410304220207.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 105
Additional info:
Tank: 16 liters
Inhabitants: cherry shrimp, blue pearl shrimp (I know its stupid to put them together, but its too expensive to kill one of them), and snail (i dunno which species)
Plants: java moss, christmas moss, cabomba, cuba, bacopa, hygrophila corymbosa, ammania praetermissa, and some red plants like bacopa
Temp: 22-24'C / 72-76'F
pH: i dont have the test kits (I'm quite poor)
Filtering: Amara AA-502, turn on 3h a day
Light: 4W, 12h a day

Ok, its purely carnivore... I think she'll die soon if she won't eat the flakes :(
UPDATE: I think the fish is female, cuz she poops something like eggs. Is this an eggs ot just poop??? Sorry, this is my first time with this kind of fish. Please help!!!

Attachments

• 1410388012658.jpg
    1410388012658.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 109
Hi, I've tried to do some research for you and totally agree with Pamiam, I would return her. These guy's are very difficult to feed what I've read is they eat (someone correct me if I'm wrong) live shrimp including ghost shrimp, live fry some have tried live brine shrimp but it seems pretty hit or miss with them. A lot even refuse frozen foods and they definitely won't touch flakes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the replies :D
The bad news is, the store won't accept the fish back no matter what I said.
The real bad news is, she just died this afternoon :(
Well, I won't buy any other fish for this month (pipefish is very expesive)
Thanks again
Regards

I know this topic is old but for people searching the topic of pipe fish you can target feed them brine shrimp using a turkey baster

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom