Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2004, 11:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Almost lost Kirby!

I almost lost my pitbull pleco, Kirby tonight.

Its only a 12 gallon tank and he's usually always out and about, moving around. He's not a shy pleco at all. When I fed the fish, I noticed he was nowhere to be found.

After an hour or so, I still couldn't find him so I started picking up ornaments and looking for him. Still nowhere. Its an Eclipse tank (full hood) so it would have been really hard for him to escape but I started looking around the tank anyway. Finally, I grabbed a flashlight and started looking. I saw a little movement at the end of the Eclipse filter where the water comes in from the tank. There was Kirby!

He's so little, he must have climbed up into where the bio-wheel is and then scurried past the filter pad down into the filter. He kept going in and out of the chamber where the impeller is! The water level in the filter wasn't high enough for him to get back over the filter pad the other direction. Quickly, I unplugged the filter and took everything out. I pulled the tube off the bottom, picked up the filter and tipped it toward the tank, and he swam happily back into his home. Whew!

I'm so glad I didn't wait to look for him. He's my favorite pleco 'cuz he's so cute and active.

I hope Kirby learned his lesson tonight!

Getting back into the hobby... restocking a 55 Gallon tank with peacock cichlids (currently housing 2 synodontis petricolas). Planning a complete overhaul of my 30 Gallon Oceanic Cube (currently housing a bristlenose pleco and a praecox rainbow).
Madame_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad he's okay! He's soooo CUTE!

Old 02-14-2004, 01:04 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
nemo

You let him watch Finding Nemo didn't you?! The young are sooo imprressionable! You have to monitor their viewing.......

8)

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 11:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ah, good point! That tank is in the living room and I did watch Finding Nemo in there. Maybe he was watching!

I thought he came out of it completely unscathed, but after looking closely, I realized a little piece of his tail was missing. Hopefully, that will teach him a lesson.
Getting back into the hobby... restocking a 55 Gallon tank with peacock cichlids (currently housing 2 synodontis petricolas). Planning a complete overhaul of my 30 Gallon Oceanic Cube (currently housing a bristlenose pleco and a praecox rainbow).
Madame_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 11:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Plecos like current, do they not?

So they must have the same problem as loaches, I.E. wanting to swim into the filter, or more dangerously, power heads.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:27 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Omigosh! My heart was racing as I hurried to read what happened to him. 8O I'm glad he's ok and I hope his tail heals quickly!

I had an Eclipse tank once, and wow -- he really squeezed himself in there! I'm glad you didn't wait to look for him too.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com