Am I being paranoid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Torachi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay, this may get to be a bit long. There's a bit of a story behind how my fiance and I became impromptu fish parents. Almost a year ago, we were given a tiny little 5 gallon tank by a friend who was moving out of state, and could not take it with him. He had 2 black moors, 2 neon tetras, 3 platies, a rainbow shark, and a common pleco in this 5 gallon tank.

We rushed out as soon as we could, to at the very least, split up the rainbow shark, platies, and the black moors, because the shark was definitely the terror of the tank, and the poor moors were beside themselves trying to get away, along with the platies. All we could afford at the time was a 10 gallon. Not a massive improvement, but it held up long enough for us to save our money and get a 36 gallon. We did loose the platies, sadly, from very obvious ammonia poisoning, and the shark just disappeared from his tank one day (we found no body in or anywhere around the tank).

So far, everyone has been doing beautifully since we got the 36 gallon. We have an Aqueon QuietFlow 30, and Aqueon QuietFlow 55/75 for filtration, with black Nat Geo sand substrate. 1 green cory, 4 peppered cories, and 2 panda cories were added, at the advise of our LFS, who said they'd keep the tank cleaner than the pleco. We eventually plan to rehome him, as I know he has a pretty big bio-load and will definitely out grow the tank. 30% PWC are done weekly.

As far as we know, the parameters are "fine", according to the pet store - nitrites are a tiny bit elevated, but nothing to panic about, and ammonia is 0. Between getting the 10 gallon, and the 36 gallon, we are definitely short on cash (living on fixed income), so we have yet to be able to get the liquid test kit, especially now that we're having car troubles and that has become priority. Anyhow, they told us our water is a little hard, but using Prime would take care of that (we have well water, not city water).

The worry I have is that lately, the larger of the two moors has been randomly resting on the substrate, in one of the two back corners randomly. He definitely perks up as soon as food is offered (we feed every other day, and no more than the two moors can eat in a few minutes; the cories get their own special food tablets from the LFS), or if you go over and start wiggling your fingers at him, since he thinks he's being fed. He goes between moments of activity, exploring around the tank, in the log, nibbling the substrate, and then he just plops himself in the corner and doesn't move, sometimes for hours. Is this normal, or am I being paranoid?

I have taken a short video and uploaded it to Youtube, since I can't seem to upload it in this post -

Last edited:
Its really hard to say...he definately isnt feeling good, but without visible signs or symptoms, not much i can advise you on. You could do one of two things.
1. Let it run its course, he will either die or get better
2. Treat prophalicty for all three bases, parasites, bacteria, mould
I am not saying dump some cheap walmart "all in one cure" into the tank because that would make it worse, im saying find a tub or get a ten gallon tank and an airstone and find the best meds that would treat him for the main bases, not all at once, but over the course of a couple weeks.
Most people just do number 1. I use to do number 2 but since im going more green (don't believe in using chemicals so much anymore) however, if you have a Fish only store near where you live, you can get something like kanamycin and furan-2 which would treat bacteria/mould, and then later get something like acriflavin which treats parasites. Just my opinion and solid advice. Just don't run out and buy junk like primifax and expect it to work for him...do some research and use the meds i reccomended, those are the TOP of the line meds in the fish hobby. Kanamycin runs about 15 dollars at a fish store, and you can find Furan-2 at walmart as "fungus cure" for like 4 dollars, they can and should be combined for a potent broad spectrum anti-bacterial anti-microbal defense. But OFC, you do'nt have to really do all that unless your willing to and really want to save him. Goldfish are hardy and hes just as likely to pull thru this without any meds at all just good clean water and maybe a better diet like a frozen variety pack at petsmart.

IMO I think you need to feed the Moors at least twice a day rather than every second day.

Your little guy might be just weak at the moment, which is why he is resting.

Could you try a good quality sinking pellet such as New Life Spectrum?

I find my Moor, Colin, also needs peas everyday - the skin peeled off and broken up into tiny chunks.

When I adopted Colin he was very poorly, but he perked up with the above meal regime. I also find maintaining water quality is paramount, too.

Hope your little guy gets better - please keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry - I should explain that the pea is to stop him from getting constipated, and to add greens into his diet.

You could try other veggies, too such as steamed broccoli.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom