Am I treating Ich correctly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone, this is my first time having an ich problem in my tank and I just want to make sure that I'm taking care of it properly. First, I set the heater to 79 and tomorrow I will put it up to 82. Is 82 enough to help? I also bought some ich treatment with 100% natural ingredients. How long should it last? From what I know, it's easily treated. Also, if 82 isn't high enough, what should I set it to? Will it spread to other fish before it goes away? Sorry for all of the questions, this is my first time treating an illness :( thank you!!!

Yay heater;) crank that puppy up to 86, add some aq salt if possible, I'd hold off on the meds for the moment.

86 is the preferred temp, so just keep increasing slowly until you get there. Make sure the water is sufficiently aerated (e.g. has good movement) as higher temps will cause less oxygen. Add an air stone if need be. Keep the temp up for at least one week after all the spots have gone. Do frequent water changes with gravel vac (every couple of days) to suck up the ich spores as they fall off. You can add salt if your current occupants can handle it, but heat alone should work.

Did you add new fish? If not, then the fish are probably stressed, so you should try to figure out what caused the Ich. If it's in the 40 gal in your signature, they could be stressed as tropicals and coldwater fish aren't compatible and it's likely you're overstocked. Also not sure of your numbers but some fish like the barbs need schools (they can also grow up to 12"+).

86 is the preferred temp, so just keep increasing slowly until you get there. Make sure the water is sufficiently aerated (e.g. has good movement) as higher temps will cause less oxygen. Add an air stone if need be. Keep the temp up for at least one week after all the spots have gone. Do frequent water changes with gravel vac (every couple of days) to suck up the ich spores as they fall off. You can add salt if your current occupants can handle it, but heat alone should work.

Did you add new fish? If not, then the fish are probably stressed, so you should try to figure out what caused the Ich. If it's in the 40 gal in your signature, they could be stressed as tropicals and coldwater fish aren't compatible and it's likely you're overstocked. Also not sure of your numbers but some fish like the barbs need schools (they can also grow up to 12"+).

Hi thank you for the quick reply :) I will be sure to crank up the heater to 86, right now it's at 79, so I will set it to 82 today and then 85 tommarow. I I am pretty sure I know what caused it, stress. First I live in an apartment with really bad heating, and we have a cold spell here in the suburbs of Chicago. In the past I never really needed a heater because it stayed at a constant 75-76. Now it got down to 66 and I think that's what stressed them out. So, I went and got a heater and now I'm bringing up the temp :)

Yay heater;) crank that puppy up to 86, add some aq salt if possible, I'd hold off on the meds for the moment.

I know I should have bought one earlier :oops: anyway, I have it set to 82 right now and I will crank it to 85 tomorrow. It is only on my balloon Molly now, do you think it will spread before it goes away?

Hey just one question about the temp, will my goldfish be ok in 86 degree water until the ich is gone? Also, using heat and natural meds, how long will it last? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom