Ammonia and Ich in a "cycled tank"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No I'm not running carbon with the medication and I raised my temp to 82 hoping to at least slow down the growth of the parasite but it doesn't seem to be working I guess. I only see glancing and itching from the dwarf gourami and it's minimal. I think the medicine kinda killed off most of it but they keep sticking towards the gourami since he's always towards the floor of the tank. I do my normal water change weekly 20-30% so I don't have another ammonia spike that caused this.

Raising the temp doesn't slow the cycle but actually speed it up. This is actually better for the process but the temp should be brought up to 86° for best results. Here's an article to help you better understand the life cycle and get the fish turned around. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/freshwater-ich-yuck/

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Raising the temp doesn't slow the cycle but actually speed it up. This is actually better for the process but the temp should be brought up to 86° for best results. Here's an article to help you better understand the life cycle and get the fish turned around. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/freshwater-ich-yuck/

Just realized my filter media has little carbon inside them.... Should I cut the filter media and take it out? Or should I put a brand new filter pad and make sure to take it out. It's about time to change it but I'm worried cause I don't want to mess around and ruin my perfect parameters I went through hell to get. Let me know

I just take the filter pad out and shake all the carbon out, then I put it back in when the ich is all dead

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ammonia and Ich in a "cycled tank"

Just realized my filter media has little carbon inside them.... Should I cut the filter media and take it out? Or should I put a brand new filter pad and make sure to take it out. It's about time to change it but I'm worried cause I don't want to mess around and ruin my perfect parameters I went through hell to get. Let me know

Yes I would remove the carbon for sure. It renders most meds useless and is probably the reason for the stall in treatment. With that being said, some meds will also kill off most or all of the bb as well. There may be something listed stating it will on the package or you can google "will____ kill off the bb on my filter". What brand of filter are you using ? (I don't recall seeing that listed.) As for replacing the cartridge, is there a specific reason for you doing so ? Manufacturers will claim every 30 days however, truth be told it only needs to be done when it is literally falling apart.

Edit : Carbon on the other hand should be changed out somewhat frequently as its life when submersed in water is about 30 days. After that period, it can become an issue as it breaks down. I personally don't use carbon in any of my filters as I do WC's more often (usually 3x per week) than most hobbyists.

Yes I would remove the carbon for sure. It renders most meds useless and is probably the reason for the stall in treatment. With that being said, some meds will also kill off most or all of the bb as well. There may be something listed stating it will on the package or you can google "will____ kill off the bb on my filter". What brand of filter are you using ? (I don't recall seeing that listed.) As for replacing the cartridge, is there a specific reason for you doing so ? Manufacturers will claim every 30 days however, truth be told it only needs to be done when it is literally falling apart.

Edit : Carbon on the other hand should be changed out somewhat frequently as its life when submersed in water is about 30 days. After that period, it can become an issue as it breaks down. I personally don't use carbon in any of my filters as I do WC's more often (usually 3x per week) than most hobbyists.

The filter is a Tetra Whisper pf10 with the medium bio bags

Back
Top Bottom