Ammonia burns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
My betta has thin red lines on her gills on both sides in exactly the same spots on the outer edges.

View attachment 125150

Sorry for the bad pic
She's a new betta, and I believe she's had these since I got her from her petco cup...

emerald76 said:
My betta has thin red lines on her gills on both sides in exactly the same spots on the outer edges.

Sorry for the bad pic
She's a new betta, and I believe she's had these since I got her from her petco cup...

I'm not able to see the pic. Not being able to see the pic I'm going to ask some questions - Is your tank new? Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates? Ammonia burns can cause severe redness in the gills, are the lines external or internal. Plus they tend to act like they can't breath, any signs of that?

shellieca said:
I'm not able to see the pic. Not being able to see the pic I'm going to ask some questions - Is your tank new? Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates? Ammonia burns can cause severe redness in the gills, are the lines external or internal. Plus they tend to act like they can't breath, any signs of that?

The tank is relatively new but she is minuscule, has almost zero bioload(she hasn't pooed in days because she isn't used to my food) and has two huge pieces of media and cycled gravel from my other tank
No, I haven't tested and cannot at the moment as I have no idea where my test kit went since we renovated. The lines appear to be external, but they are exactly the same on each gill and both sides- she also has some red in her. No sign of not breathing, she is happily swimming around, investigating, and blowing bubbles. I attached a filter baffle to reduce flow for her, also

The tank is relatively new but she is minuscule, has almost zero bioload(she hasn't pooed in days because she isn't used to my food) and has two huge pieces of media and cycled gravel from my other tank
No, I haven't tested and cannot at the moment as I have no idea where my test kit went since we renovated. The lines appear to be external, but they are exactly the same on each gill and both sides- she also has some red in her. No sign of not breathing, she is happily swimming around, investigating, and blowing bubbles. I attached a filter baffle to reduce flow for her, also

Doesn't sound like ther is anything to worry about right now. I'd just keep an eye on her. But even though you say she hasn't pooed in days, I would still be testing the water.

I can't test the water as my test kit has taken a joyride to random place somewhere lol

Back
Top Bottom