Ammonia poisoning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaurenBanshee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an oscar who is laying on her side and gasping. I had a filter failure. Since then i have done a 50% water change and added an ammonia reducer since her symptoms were so severe. I do not know if i can save her ,but i wanna try. I need some.help anyone have any suggestions. Qt tank? wait it out ? thank L

Welcome to AA!! Can you provide us with some more info please? Tank size? Stocking? Present water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph)? What you are using to test- liquid or strips?

The best thing you can do are water changes with temperature matched, properly conditioned water. You want to drop your toxin levels as low as possible (preferably zero). Increase the aeration as well. If you have methylene blue, you can give her a separate bath 1-2x a day to help with toxin poisoning and help increase the oxygen level in her blood. Keeping the toxin levels low to zero, even if this means multiple daily wcs, will be the best thing to help in her recovery. Please ask if you have questions!

Back
Top Bottom