Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ammonia problem?? Please help

Hi,

I have a 20 gallon thatís currently having a huge ammonia problem, the levels are off the charts (Iím using API Ammo Lock to the ty and keep my fish from dying) and I need to move some fish out. The ammonia levels are measuring at 4ppm. Iím using the API Freshwater master test kit. I did a 50% water change last night and right after and this morning the ammonia was measuring the same as before the change. Iím going to be doing 20-25% water changes every day for the next week.

Another thing is that I changed the substrate of the tank last week, from gravel to to sand. It wasnít live sand, but it seemed to be fine and I added API quick start to replace the lost bacteria.

The fish inside are 4 Dalmatian Mollies, 6 Kuhli Loaches, and 3 neon tetras. Thereís no live plants. There was a snail in there too, but last night they died.

I have a small 5 gallon that has never had any fish and has been cycling for at least 2 weeks now, but when I went to test the water to see if I could move the tetras into it to relieve some stress from the 20 gallon the water measured at 1-2ppm of ammonia!? Thereís no reason for there to be ammonia in that tank that I can think of. I donít know what to do to fix this. None of the factors that could be affecting the 20 gallon should be affecting the 5 gallon.

I tested the tap water from the sink I use to for aquarium water and it didnít have any ammonia in it, so Iím not sure where itís coming from.

Please give any advice you can

Old 05-08-2021, 08:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am unfamiliar with your issue, this forum is pretty dead, I would recommend joining fishlor. You will get help with in a couple minutes of posting
Old 05-09-2021, 05:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can someone please just remove Mother of fish from the forum already.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow. If you can't help, don't reply. Dont be a jerk.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolsGold View Post
Hi,

I have a 20 gallon thatís currently having a huge ammonia problem, the levels are off the charts (Iím using API Ammo Lock to the ty and keep my fish from dying) and I need to move some fish out. The ammonia levels are measuring at 4ppm. Iím using the API Freshwater master test kit. I did a 50% water change last night and right after and this morning the ammonia was measuring the same as before the change. Iím going to be doing 20-25% water changes every day for the next week.

Another thing is that I changed the substrate of the tank last week, from gravel to to sand. It wasnít live sand, but it seemed to be fine and I added API quick start to replace the lost bacteria.

The fish inside are 4 Dalmatian Mollies, 6 Kuhli Loaches, and 3 neon tetras. Thereís no live plants. There was a snail in there too, but last night they died.

I have a small 5 gallon that has never had any fish and has been cycling for at least 2 weeks now, but when I went to test the water to see if I could move the tetras into it to relieve some stress from the 20 gallon the water measured at 1-2ppm of ammonia!? Thereís no reason for there to be ammonia in that tank that I can think of. I donít know what to do to fix this. None of the factors that could be affecting the 20 gallon should be affecting the 5 gallon.

I tested the tap water from the sink I use to for aquarium water and it didnít have any ammonia in it, so Iím not sure where itís coming from.

Please give any advice you can
I would do 40% changes daily and keep adding quick start. Keep me updated.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of fish View Post
Wow. If you can't help, don't reply. Dont be a jerk.

I pay an annual fee to support this forum and you are advising people to go elsewhere in a number of posts now. If you want to be a part of this community keep advice within the community.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I suspect that switching the substrate released the ammonia - sand can get really dirty. I would do a 50% water change and see if that cuts the ammonia down.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrichsd View Post
I suspect that switching the substrate repressed the ammonia - sand can get really dirty. I would do a 50% water change and see if that cuts the ammonia down.
I agree

Tags
ammonia, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com