An Ich-shu with a twist!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkdubs2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So the story goes I have an aquaponics setup. The fish in there are bluegill. They all started to break out with ich. The problem is that these fish are for human consumption so i can't just use your run of the mill pet store meds bc those aren't safe for ppl. I don't have the money to buy a large enough heater (400-500g of water) to kill the ich. Does anyone know any human safe and fish safe ick treatment i can use for my Bluegill at a decent price?

Salt works but that might kill the plants if you have them in the setup. Maybe if you could move the plants to some other containers temporarily? Hehe... The fish would be pre-seasoned!

Well I've had about 20 die off by now in only a day or so so its in need of a quick fix the salt i think is a slow fix. I think ill move temp to an inside tank and treat with heat. Its just going to suck acting 75 fish.

jkdubs2 said:
Well I've had about 20 die off by now in only a day or so so its in need of a quick fix the salt i think is a slow fix. I think ill move temp to an inside tank and treat with heat. Its just going to suck acting 75 fish.

The salt kills ich and the heat speeds up their life cycle. I would move them and treat with heat and salt together.

Well i moved the fish inside but they are all in a 55g. Luckily they are all about 1 inch. Ill treat with heat inside and treat with salt the rest of the system outside. Ill just have to be on my game inside to be sure to keep the tank clean. Luckily they are in a cycled tank. This whole thing has been one problem after another.

Back
Top Bottom