Angel breathing issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got home, and this angel is acting fine now:confused:. He's still in the back corner, but he's charging at one of the twins and he rushed out to eat this time. At this point I'm starting to look for eggs! Heck, maybe "he" is a "she". Seriously! Here he is in the back with the other angel that I've noticed is hanging with him more and more.

Here's the pic

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401321753.671767.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401321753.671767.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 53
Sometimes less is more. I have to admit algae is an issue but I kinda like it. It's not really about how beautiful that tank looks. For me it's knowing that the water is safe with a balanced little ecosystem. Although I do use the term balanced loosely. It will still never be a natural environment but as long as the fish are happy that's what counts.

I have a South American cichlid tank and a betta.[/QUOTE/

I too think algae is a part of a healthy system. I have a planted 40b community and a planted 3g cube betta tank. Again, it's all about balance. BBA tried to ruin me in the 40b, but I cheated and bought a few SAE's from my lfs. Just for the record they have practically eradicated it from my tank.

I'll be watching my angel. I am blown away that he/she looks so well tonight! Practically back to normal. He's not doing the weird gill thing either.

Good news!

So both gills back to normal? No changes in the tank recently that might of had a bit of something floating around eg wool filter clean?

This sounds like good news! I knew it. A healthy fish doesn't just get Ill without an internal or external factor change. In this case the change sounds like and internal one with the other angels.

Fingers crosses all is well.

Good news!

So both gills back to normal? No changes in the tank recently that might of had a bit of something floating around eg wool filter clean?

He doesn't seem like anything was ever wrong. I've been worried about this fish for weeks!! I've never known a fish to go from active and all over the tank to hovering in the back corner. His looks even changed a little. Last night his color was back and he seemed fine, but he still went back to the same corner. This is a first for me.

This sounds like good news! I knew it. A healthy fish doesn't just get Ill without an internal or external factor change. In this case the change sounds like and internal one with the other angels.

Fingers crosses all is well.

I'm at a loss. There have been no changes. I've done absolutely nothing different. Same water change schedule, same feedings, same foods, etc. If it were a water quality issue I'm sure I would have lost a threadfin or a cardinal. I don't know a thing about angel breeding behavior, I wonder if his behavior is related to that? Time will tell, but I guess for now I don't need to treat him. The main concern I have is internal parasites that could be weakening him and by the time symptoms show up it's too late. I'll keep a close eye on him.

That is odd, even if something happened when he first went off colour (eg forgot to condition tap water just as a quick example only), then I would of thought this would be an issue for both gills not one side. Oh well, good news :)

I spoke with my lfs owner and she is suggesting that the problem is very likely aggression. I have 4 angels in this tank, and the 2 newest ones are identical silvers, which are growing like crazy. They are quite feisty as well. I have decided to rehome them and hopefully the problem will be solved. If not I have an arsenal of meds on hand now, I just hope I don't have to use them.

I'm glad to hear it all worked out well Reygan! Thanks for the update too,
I've been reading this thread with interest and hoping your angel would be all good :)

Thanks! Why do they have to be such little devils lol? Anyway, I'm hoping this is the problem. Those angels are gorgeous, but they've gotta go.

I'm sure they'll find themselves a good home, probably not as good as the one they were in now though. All the best! I'll be waiting to hear how it all goes ;)

After noticing some aggression in one of the twins, I removed them to the qt tank. It's been several days and although the angel is coming out of the corner a little more, he still stays there most of the time. He looks fine and he's eating. I'm still confused as to why he is staying back there. I'm going to take the twins to my lfs owner. She knows someone that wants them. Hopefully my angel will feel safe enough to venture out more soon.

Yeah. Since coming home from work the angel has stayed out from the corner and is staying out front! So apparently it was aggression from the younger angels rather than sickness.

Last edited:
Not very angelic or cool on the part of the twins! Sounds like they're a pair of young feisty little fish! You may think this is weird, but when my fish are playing up and misbehaving, I get out my frypan and wave it in front of the tank. It freaks them out all the time and does wonders to their behaviour! Anyway, just a suggestion!

Not very angelic or cool on the part of the twins! Sounds like they're a pair of young feisty little fish! You may think this is weird, but when my fish are playing up and misbehaving, I get out my frypan and wave it in front of the tank. It freaks them out all the time and does wonders to their behaviour! Anyway, just a suggestion!

Ha glad to hear your angel is doing better I do something similar when my fish are acting up I just hang my net in the water and they all tend to straighten out!

Haha!! That's awful!! Poor fishies! Hey....I may just try that :D

Update...
I'm really frustrated atm and maybe someone can help shed some light on what's going on. I decided to move the fish around again rather than give them to my lfs. I had raised the twins from tiny babies, and I wanted to see if things could work. I put the least aggressive twin back in the tank and things were fine. My largest, most fav angel stayed out of the corner, was eating and seemed perfectly fine again. Long story short, after a few days the angel seemed to be getting thinner again, so I moved him back in the QT tank. I treated him with API General Cure, he seemed great and was eating really well again, fattening up and looking great. Yesterday I had even decided to add him back to the main tank when I out of the blue I noticed he was floating around the tank like he had no control and he refused to eat. He's doing the same thing this morning, so I decided to treat with Prazipro. The only thing I've done differently is feed Hikari frozen bloodworms. I realize that fish get sick, but I have never had any issues like I'm having with these Petsmart angels. I've never had any live over a year and a half. Could it be poor stock? How would they live a six months, a year, or like this one, a year and a half then get sick out of nowhere? Could it be the bloodworms? I've had a fs owner tell me they were junk and to not offer them, and I've heard from folks who have had no problems. I know this is a long post, but I'm tired of these angels dying when the rest of my fish are fine. Any input would be appreciated.

Update...
I'm really frustrated atm and maybe someone can help shed some light on what's going on. I decided to move the fish around again rather than give them to my lfs. I had raised the twins from tiny babies, and I wanted to see if things could work. I put the least aggressive twin back in the tank and things were fine. My largest, most fav angel stayed out of the corner, was eating and seemed perfectly fine again. Long story short, after a few days the angel seemed to be getting thinner again, so I moved him back in the QT tank. I treated him with API General Cure, he seemed great and was eating really well again, fattening up and looking great. Yesterday I had even decided to add him back to the main tank when I out of the blue I noticed he was floating around the tank like he had no control and he refused to eat. He's doing the same thing this morning, so I decided to treat with Prazipro. The only thing I've done differently is feed Hikari frozen bloodworms. I realize that fish get sick, but I have never had any issues like I'm having with these Petsmart angels. I've never had any live over a year and a half. Could it be poor stock? How would they live a six months, a year, or like this one, a year and a half then get sick out of nowhere? Could it be the bloodworms? I've had a fs owner tell me they were junk and to not offer them, and I've heard from folks who have had no problems. I know this is a long post, but I'm tired of these angels dying when the rest of my fish are fine. Any input would be appreciated.

Just my personal opinion and i by far am no expert.. is that your fish's illness is probably not related to it being a petsmart angelfish.. i say this because it's been a year and a half.. i would think since it has been that long that the fish is sickly b/c of environmental factors.. stress from being picked on by other angels.. stress from moving from tank to tank.. and stress from the different medications body.. so it's floating on it's side? how frequently are you feeding the blood worms.. i feed my angels bloodworms occasionally but only a very small amount and usually not more than once a week.. mine are pigs.. and will eat as much as you put in the tank.. but even with the small amount their bellies swell till they look like their going to pop.. so floating could be related to swim bladder disfunction or bowel blockage.. one thing i do and seems to help is i will alternate and give omega one freeze dried shrimp crumbled up.. the roughness of the shell seems to help keep them regular also!! have you tried feeding a pea? if he will eat it or epson salt..

Just my personal opinion and i by far am no expert.. is that your fish's illness is probably not related to it being a petsmart angelfish.. i say this because it's been a year and a half.. i would think since it has been that long that the fish is sickly b/c of environmental factors.. stress from being picked on by other angels.. stress from moving from tank to tank.. and stress from the different medications body.. so it's floating on it's side? how frequently are you feeding the blood worms.. i feed my angels bloodworms occasionally but only a very small amount and usually not more than once a week.. mine are pigs.. and will eat as much as you put in the tank.. but even with the small amount their bellies swell till they look like their going to pop.. so floating could be related to swim bladder disfunction or bowel blockage.. one thing i do and seems to help is i will alternate and give omega one freeze dried shrimp crumbled up.. the roughness of the shell seems to help keep them regular also!! have you tried feeding a pea? if he will eat it or epson salt..

Yeah, it doesn't make sense that the cause would be poor stock at this point. The only med was the Gen. Cure though, and that was already after he was showing signs of sickness. I just dosed the prazipro after seeing him on his side. If it's a swim bladder issue I don't think the prazipro will help. Perhaps it was aggression coupled with the stress of moving him, but I just don't understand why I can't keep angels. Usually they die within a few months. I've had this problem since I started keeping fish. It's disheartening because they are one of my favorites. Thanks for the reply, I'll offer a pea, but he won't touch a thing. :(

Back
Top Bottom