Angel fish messed up fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tadpole1567

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i guess you could say i rescued this guy from a pet store he was smallest in tank and the other angels beat him pretty bad. Hes doing great with my angels now but is there anything i can do to help his fins. Bottom and top fins are crooked and is missing one of his longer skinnier fins. Im not sure of the technical names for all the fins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1399168431850.jpg
    1399168431850.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 135
Keep em fed and in good water condition. It will grow back naturally (or they have on all the beat up fish I've owned).

Okay thank you lol i do weekly water changes and feed regularly. I have six angels all together and theyve accepted him no problem.

Theres a closer photo. i love the coloring on him/her. Hopefully the fins will grow back quickly.

Attachments

• 1399174864212.jpg
    1399174864212.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 122
This is actually part of the problem with the current available stock of Angelfish. Bent and missing fins are sadly becoming the acceptable "norm " . There are 2 ways of looking at your efforts. 1-is that you saved the fish. 2- is that you have given the shop owner a reason to keep offering inferior fish for sale. It depends on which part of the fence you are sitting on. ;)

Personally, I would have left the fish in the store and explained to the shop owner that you WOULD have purchased his fish had he have better stock to choose from. As a former Pet Shop manager, THAT would have hit home and forced me to rethink my buying habits. Unfortunately, some fish may need to die in an effort to increase awareness to the poor stocks available. That's just the plain truth. As with Bettas in the Walmarts and goldfish and tropicals in the same water in some stores, the shop owner only knows they are doing something wrong when people DON'T buy from them and are told why. The object of business is to sell products. If nothing sells, the store goes out of business. I believe it's up to all of us to help the shop owner stay in business by doing the right things for our pets not just doing the bare minimum.

Now, as for your new fish, Veiltail varieties of Angels are known to have bent fins due to the extra weight being added to the "normal" skeleton. There's not much you can do about this. Bent or crooked is another story. These fish should not be available for sale IMO For your new guy, time and the proper conditions are the only way to know if it's "deformaties" are permanent or not. Be patient, it could take a long time to happen.

Hope this helps

Thank you and i do agree with you on that lol. I got him from a feeders supply they normally have better looking fish than that one but it was shoved down in the corner. Guess i have a soft spot. Its already swimming better and being more active.

Thank you and i do agree with you on that lol. I got him from a feeders supply they normally have better looking fish than that one but it was shoved down in the corner. Guess i have a soft spot. Its already swimming better and being more active.

Nothing wrong about having a soft spot. (y) It may have driven the point home a bit more tho if you just left him there and suggested to the store owner to move it into another tank or he would most likely lose his investment in that fish as it will be killed by the other fish and then he'd have nothing to sell. :nono:
That's kinda the point I've been presenting for over the past 40 years tho. Maybe I stand alone? I know that I, as a customer, don;t want to spend my hard earned money FIXING the fish I get from the pet shop. I want them to be in great health and condition from the start. Being as experienced as I am in the fish business, I KNOW that is possible and still turn a profit. I've passed on many fish over the years due to the conditions of the other fish in the store. My feeling, if the shop can't keep the other fish healthy, how can I expect them to have done such a wonderful job on the fish I wanted? I am truly a pet store's nightmare. lol I look at everything when I go into a store long before I make a decision to buy. ( But that's just our little secret ;). lol )

Hopefully all will work out with your fish. Keep us posted (y)

I must be lucky where I live. The major chain pet stores have their stuff segmented properly (no goldfish with anything but their own kind, even if they have three hundred in one tank). And every LFS I've been to in my town is vigilant about their separation - brackish, soft water fish, normal ph, discus in their own tanks, etc. They won't sell you a fish if you don't have a tank large enough. "You're not going to keep a great Dane in a 600sqft studio apartment..."

Just yesterday, I actually overheard a shop owner sharing in the misery with a shopper about the poor condition of the last shipment of angel's they received. He said something to the effect of, "I'm not happy about it, but there's not a lot I can do when I've already purchased them from the supplier. We keep up water conditions here and hopefully they'll improve in the shop so folks are willing to buy them." This same store supplies pH neutral freshwater, brackish, and RO/DI saltwater.

We really don't know where most of the supplied fish come from. Waters from a foreign country? A fish farm on the other side of the country? Local fish farms? My favorite local shop deals with their crappy shipments, and you can see the improvement in their stock even a week later.

All of that is very true to lol. Hes looking better seems happier. All fish are getting along. Will chase each other occasionally but havent been nipping each other. Heres better photos of him. Not even sure what kind of angel he is lol

Attachments

• 1399689501989.jpg
    1399689501989.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 1399689520647.jpg
    1399689520647.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 1399689663473.jpg
    1399689663473.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 85
Update on gimpy. Hes slowly growing his fins back and much more lively than when i first got him :)

Attachments

• 1400798694493.jpg
    1400798694493.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 77
Back
Top Bottom