Angel with major fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManInAHat73

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a few free tanks today and one of them came with an angel with massive fin rot. What can I do to help him get better? Any specific meds I should give him, or should I house him in my qt tank for a while so he can get better? He his housed with about 15 other cichlids (still trying to identify them) in a 20G. About 5-7 of those cichlids are going to the LFS tomorrow.

how far down the fin is the rot? is it to the body yet?

salt and heat and there is some meds out there that will help him but the salt does wonders.

It's not close to the body, except for one fin. It almost looks gone completely. Should I put him in my 10G qt and use the salt method or keep him in with the other fish?

It's not close to the body, except for one fin. It almost looks gone completely. Should I put him in my 10G qt and use the salt method or keep him in with the other fish?

The sooner you can QT and medicate him the better. I've always used melafix but salt would probably work fine. I waited too long to medicate a guppy with fin rot one time and he never fully regrew his tail.:(

Thanks for the replies. I'm off to get some rocks and I'll be heading to the LFS tomorrow to get a new heater and some melafix for my qt.

Last edited:
I use aq salt and melafix as well. I increase the temp to 84F and keep the water fresh and aerated. I hope the little guy pulls around.

I do too. The tank was a disaster when I got it. It only had 5 gallons of water in it with 19 fish in it, all of them over an inch. Hopefully I get some store credit for the cichlids and I can use that to buy the heater, melafix and some cichlid food. If I have to use the money I've been saving, I won't be able to get one of the 75G's.

I'm sad to say that the angel didn't make it through the night. I woke up this morning to find the him laying on his side and the pleco on top of him.

Back
Top Bottom