Angel with swim bladder problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok, me and my gf wehre out of town for 3 days everythingn was fine when we left.

when we got back, the larger of her two angels was at the top of the tank...nothing to abnormal. but then it never left the top of the tank. it has a problem of listing tothe side as well, so it stays behind the heater or filter so that they will keep it upright

he has tried to swim down, but seems very difficult and he cant do it for long. I imagine it has to be something wrong with his swim bladder. he has been like this for at least 48 hours now. We have raised the tank water temp to 83*F, added a little bit of salt. a rounded tablespoon per 5 gallons. that is all we have done. it tries to eat, but is either not ablet o, or becomes uninterested.

Please help....my gf will h ave a breakdown if it dies.

I would do a water change to remove the salt. IMO epsom salt is better for swim bladder issues. It removes fluids from the body and can help with any constipation. Do as large a water change as possible matching water temps and adding dechlorinator. Epsom salt dosage 1/8 tsp per 10 gals usual dosage. I have had to use as much a 1 tsp per 10 gals in severe cases. What are the other tank mates? And what are your tank parameters?

I'm sorry but your angel is showing all the signs of preparing to go. This is a genetic problem, not a true illness. In 99% of the cases that I've seen (including my own), it is fatal.

You've done the right thing so far...all you can do is hope at this point.

You can avoid your gf having a breakdown by explaining this situation to her. Our angels have such pleasing personalities, it's hard to see them like this.

That's interesting Bill, I didn't know that it was a genetic issue with angels. I guess I have been very lucky.

she understood the having to get rid of 1/2 her neons due to genetic defects, but they wehre not as personalbe as this angel. and she didnt heave them for near as long she has had this angel for about 6 months since he was about 1/4 inch long. It does kinda suck..this guy does have some persoanlity I am even starting to like my angels...and I swore I would never have normal community fish....now I have a betta, some german blue rams, some angels and cories, :/ (in diff tnaks though)

Back
Top Bottom