Angelfish Fin rot??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaholic1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought 4 baby angelfish 4 days ago and 1 of them looks like they've developed fin rot. I'm not 100% though. Just incase I done a 50% w/c and bought some meds called Myxazin, which has dyed my water a blue colour, and started using it as of today. I've also upped the temp to 80.
None of my other fish look like they've been affected bar another angel which looks like its just about to start rotting and they never had any symptoms in my lfs (otherwise I wouldn't of picked them) and I only noticed it this morning, so it has came on fast.
The tank is a 240 litre with a 305 canister and I have
2 pearl gourami 2.5inch
10 neon tetra .8inch
5 rummynose tetra 1inch
1 bristlenose pleco 3inch
7 albino corys 1inch
1 rtbs 1.5inch
And 4 angelfish 1.2inch.
So all my fish are young.
Please help me!!

Hi it could be bullying? Angels are notorious bullys once you get them home. Myxazin will turn the water blue,that's how you know its working. It will also dye the silicone on the joints of your tank blue aswell! Do you have any carbon in use on the tank?

Nope no carbon. It just looks like a fungus and white. I have a video on youtube and you can see what i mean. The angel that looks more infected gets excited when i walk my the tank and when i feed him, but when im sitting on the other side of the room he sits top centre of the tank on his own.

Hi sounds like he is trying to be the main Angel so to speak? The myxazin should sort out the fungus so best idea is to keep an eye on them and make sure it doesn't get any worse:) Is the angel feeding ok?

Yer he seems to be eating fine. I think I have been over feeding slightly so I'm going to stop for a couple of days. And I have two air stones running and raised the temp. Have a look at my vid and see if its him getting picked on or its fungus.

Hi firstly well done on getting a video of the angel on here,(y)your cleverer than me:oops: If i was you i would put a background on your tank,i would also add some taller plants:) Both just suggestions. The finrot isn't too bad i would say with a good diet and good water conditions it would clear up remarkably quickly:) Also with the Myxazin it will help clear up the finrot so maybe keep treating with this for now aswell:)
Footnote :- i have suggested the taller plants and background,because as Angels get larger they will form a pecking order so it will help 'break up' the line of sight. Me personally have know end of problems with Angels finding as they get bigger they quite quarrelsome. Good luck:)

Haha thanks. :) tbh ive planted the back with some amazon sword hoping they will grow nice and tall but if you know of better background plants that dont require too much looking after then i will deffinatly add them. As for the background i'll leave it off i used to have one but since its been off its made the tank a whole lot brighter and gave it a 'new look' for me. I'm onto day three of the meds and it doesnt look like its got much better but all my fish are very active so i'm pleased. I havent fed them since saturday and i probably won't untill tomorrow night as im trying to keep the water as clean as possible and i dont want to do w/c as i believe it wont give my fish the full dose of meds. I hope i'm doing all the right things :S

Hi Vallis is usually pretty good? Next time I'm clearing a few out would you like some? Also a little food wouldn't go amiss:fish2: Also quite right about the meds and water changes(y) PS how deep is your tank?

I have some twisted val atm and is amazing. The tank Is 20" deep. I have plant on the right as you look at it and im not sure of the name maybe you can tell me? I got it about a month ago 5cm tall and now its easily 30cm+ and its grown outwards aswell i really like that plant.

Oh and yer I'd love some thanks :D

Hi had another quick look at the video,can't quite tell what the plant is I'm afraid, looks like cabomba though, or similar? i shall let you know next time I'm having a sort out then you can have some OK? How is the Angel doing? The giant Vallis i have got has got leaves that are over 48 inches long:eek:

It's a puzzle that plant looks really cool though. Yer that sounds amazing thank you. The angel actually looks great I'm impressed with the myxazin. I did the last dosage today so I'm going to give them a good feed in the morning and do a 40% w/c tomorrow night. I'll put a picture up of him tomorrow for you. :)

Just an update. The Myxazin worked perfectly. I'd recomend it to anyone. I'll put a pic up soon.

Hi that's great news(y)
Foot note :- Myxazin, protozein and sterazin have a minimum five year shelve life too, so i've always got a bottle of each just in case(y)

Thank you, I'm so relieved I think I may start doing that from now on its a good idea. :) cheers for all your help. I'm going do do a w/c now and see the rummynose brighten up. (y) and ill put a few pics of them too.

Just after a w/c. That's the angel with the finrot. There is none left. :):):)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111126_223103.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111126_223103.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 103
  • ForumRunner_20111126_223123.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111126_223123.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 106
Yer that will be amazing thank you so much.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111127_000307.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111127_000307.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 93
  • ForumRunner_20111127_000324.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111127_000324.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 86
  • ForumRunner_20111127_000343.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111127_000343.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 105
Hi fantastic photo's(y) Great to see the Angel all better(y)
Just an observation,why is your heater placed so high in your tank? In my tanks i place it much lower and if possible on the side glass. I shall put a photo on of me planted tank,the heater is on the left,as you can see you cannot see it! Plus some of that vallis will be heading your way:)

Attachments

• plants8 (Large).jpg
    plants8 (Large).jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 110
Back
Top Bottom