Angelfish Fin Split

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd give it about 2-4 days going by a comparable injury to a dosed human body. I've got nothing to go off of accept that. 2-4 days you should see a turnaround In the degeneration I guess.

Damage to angelfish fins isn't uncommon at all. They can rip one just "playing around" the tank, or in moving them (net damage) and so on. Thing is - fin rot resulting from that damage is nearly always connected with water quality issues. SOMETHING not right, and damaged fin becomes a bigger issue. #1 priority - check and recheck water parameters, and increase the pwc schedule.

I have dealt with damaged fins and fungus/rot and have only treated with meds once - and that was with a high-dose "dip/bath" with salt and Tetra Fungus Guard. Symptoms disappeared a day later with the fin now completely healed. Since then, have had a couple of slightly torn fins that have healed without any sign of disease (and water quality has been much more stable and good in that time).

Currently treating Betta for Fin Fungus

I've got a Betta and I'm treating him for fin fungus right now. It's a huge pain as he seems to have the kind that's pretty resistant. I put him into a medical tank only because I was having to treat for so long and he was in a tank with a split divider.

The other Betta came with the fungus and mine caught it from him. That Betta has been completely cured (has been for months and now has huge fins).

Basically, I have to use meds at this point because he's got a really bad case which isn't responding and all the Betta websites say you have to increase the dosage and do multi-drugs if the fungus is really, really bad. I think it depends on the situation really. Mine injured his fins and that led to the fin fungus.

I don't use products like Melafix only because I've seen too many postings that they don't really help, plus I read Betta's don't do well with them. I have used Kordon's Rid Fungus and that seems to help during the treatment. I found it at Petco and it helped with getting rid of the initial fungus.

My water is really good - change it regularly as tank is smaller. He just seems to have a bad, bad case.

Back
Top Bottom