Angelfish Fin Split

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackSpadesSI

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a juvenile angelfish. When I got home I noticed he had a small hole in his bottom fin. Yesterday (nearly a week later) the hole spread and now there is a clean split down the bottom fin. It is a very clean split, in that there is no fraying or inflammation.

I heard about Melafix, so I think I'll try that tonight (unless anyone has a better idea). I'm also planning on every-other-day PWC to keep the water top-notch.

My questions:
- Can I dose Melafix to the entire tank?

- I also have neon tetras, guppies, swordtail, otocinclus, and ADF in the tank. Will Melafix harm any of those species?

Any other advice is appreciated!

Please let me know how to treat my angelfish.

Symptom: angelfish with split bottom fin. All fish are behaving normally.

Tank: 30-gallon with canister filter. Gravel substrate. Driftwood. Fake plants.

Fish/amphibian: 7 neon tetras, 5 male guppies, 1 swordtail, 1 otocinclus, 1 ADF, 1 angelfish.

I own API aquarium salt and Melafix, but I don't want to dose until I get some advice from people on this board. I don't want to add anything to the tank which will harm any of the inhabitants!

Please advise!

Don't use salt and use metifix also if it is getting worse treat for fungal so there is no infections and it wont hurt the other fish

Don't use salt and use metifix also if it is getting worse treat for fungal so there is no infections and it wont hurt the other fish

Why not use salt? If it is not the right thing to do, that's fine, but I'd like to know why not. I've heard that helps with the regrowth of fins.

Also, now one of my neon tetras has really ragged fins - like scary bad. Therefore, I WILL be treating tomorrow after I get home from work. PLEASE (everybody) provide me with more advice on how to *properly* treat my fish tank.

After posting that last comment last night I decided that it would be too risky to wait until this afternoon, so I treated with Melafix yesterday: I removed the activated carbon (per instructions) from my canister filter, and I dosed 15 mL (per instructions) for my 30-gallon tank.

As far as Melafix, I’m unsure how to properly continue the dosage. On the bottle, it says to dose for 7 days, and then do a 25% PWC. Does that mean that I should avoid doing a PWC during the course of the medical treatment? I would appreciate clarification on that matter from someone with Melafix experience!

I now suspect the root cause of the ailment is an improper quarantine of the angelfish, who was temporarily housed with some new ghost shrimp before joining the 30-gallon community tank. Are any other medications required to treat this issue?

Google pictures of fin rot. It seems like your tank is afflicted by it. I'd treat for it as soon as you confirm it..

Oh, I never saw the words fin rot said, so I figured id put it out there. Best of luck.

I can't say as far as using melafix to treat finrot, as I've never done so. I can, however, say that I used melafix once in the treatment of columnaris. I performed daily 50% PWC's and dosed melafix and pimafix daily.

Typically, clean water is the best cure for fin rot. So, I would do daily water changes, and you can add the melafix in there after each change.

One of my angels had one of the little pectoral fin ribs break during a transfer in a net. The part of the fin that broke died and turned into fin rot over the next few days. It didn't affect the fish's ability to swim and it kept behaving normally, it healed over time without any medication. Check for any signs of damage to the ribs in the fins, it may look like a spot of ich, except that its the only one and I could see the end portion of the rib dangling and attached to the rest of the fin by the decaying part of the fin.

Ok, here is my plan (I'd appreciate feedback!):
  • Remove activated carbon from canister filter (done)
  • Raise temp to 80 F (from 78 F)
  • Daily PWC
  • Daily dose of Melafix (7 days minimum)
  • Dose with aquarium salt
After fin rot appears to be gone:
  • No more Melafix or salt
  • Reset temp to 78 F
  • Replace activated carbon in canister filter
  • Every-other-day PWC (for one week)
I'd like to know if any of those steps are a) harmful, or b) a waste of time. Keep in mind the inhabitants of my tank: neon tetras, guppies, swordtail, otocinclus, ADF, angelfish.

It is true, but if you're adding in low amounts, it really wont harm them.

It is true, but if you're adding in low amounts, it really wont harm them.

a) please define "low amounts" in some sort of ratio (e.g. teaspoons per gallon).

b) at those levels which are safe to neon tetras and otocinclus, is the salt even providing any benefit to the injured/ill fish?

Acclimate them to half a teaspoon a gallon to start. They should be fine with that

Never treated for them. I thought it was just the fact that the parasites hate it.. I also know it stimulates healthy skin.

Overall, you should finish with 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. That is appropriate for fish without scales

I ended up doing 1 tablespoon for ever 10 gallons... which seems rather low now that I think about it. I also raised the temp (to 80 F) and dosed Melafix.

Fingers are crossed.

Back
Top Bottom