Angelfish has big lips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yodlem

Aquarium Advice Regular
Self explanatory, my angelfish's lips are really really big for some reason

It's been like this for a while, but he isn't really showing any weird symptoms and is eating/acting normal.

fishmt6.jpg

img0784aj4.jpg

I just did a huge algae clean out of my tank yesterday by the way.
Temp: 84 (it's a little hot so i pushed the heater down a bit)

And for those of you who want to complain that my tank is too small, I've heard this a billion times already, I know it's too small and the stock is all wrong, but my angelfish is doing just fine as he is. I might get a larger tank later when he can't move around at all in the tank that I have now, but my dad refuses to get a new tank right now/I have no place to put the new tank even if i did buy a new one.

My Angel has the exact same thing, it is Lip fibroma. JChillin posted the following info in the post I made in June.

Angelsplus.com

What you're seeing is probably a lip fibroma. There is a study that suggests this is caused by a virus, that only activates when the angelfish is under stress. There is some evidence that it usually affects female angelfish, or at least that they are more susceptible. There is no cure, just as the cure for most viruses have not been found. I would not try to use such an angelfish as a breeder, because no one knows if there is a genetic factor influencing the angel fish's susceptibility to this virus. Euthanasia is generally recommended to prevent a slow death by starvation. However, some have reported being able to carefully cut the growth off and not have it re-grow.

Here is a pic of mine:

img2462.jpg

Back
Top Bottom